Who Do You Use For Travel Insurance?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In preparing for an upcoming trip to Ecuador I was advised that it is mandatory that travelers show proof of travel health insurance now to enter that country. I did some looking around and purchased from GoReady Insurance. I used World Nomads in the past, but they have an upper age limit of 70 (booo!) On a lot of trips I just check the box for airline-sponsored insurance, usually Allianz. The kicker here is that I have never needed to make a claim, so really, I have no idea how "good" any of these companies are when one actually needs them.

I live in the US and I have used TravelGuard. I have never had to file a claim so I cannot speak to that.

Travel Insurance comes with many different options and levels of insurance and "fine print" wording that needs to be studied and fully understood. At a minimum, Medical Evacuation Insurance is a must for any US traveler in a place outside of the US as far as I am concerned. I have seen it used on two different trips by fellow travelers. For a US citizen do not assume that your US medical insurance will cover you outside the US. If your insurance company says you will be covered outside of the US, get that in writing.

I live in the US and I have used TravelGuard. I have never had to file a claim so I cannot speak to that.

Travel Insurance comes with many different options and levels of insurance and "fine print" wording that needs to be studied and fully understood. At a minimum, Medical Evacuation Insurance is a must for any US traveler in a place outside of the US as far as I am concerned. I have seen it used on two different trips by fellow travelers. For a US citizen do not assume that your US medical insurance will cover you outside the US. If your insurance company says you will be covered outside of the US, get that in writing.
Good points. Also know that just because your policy covers medically necessary airflights, evacuation, etc.....the purchaser of the insurance does not make that determination. The insurance company (and their doctors - not the doctor treating you case) decides if that service is authorized.

Also in determining the amount of insurance to purchase, considering all the costs that might be incurred. I thought I had covered everything when purchasing our insurance in 2013 when my husband had a heart attack in Croatia. Nope. We both had non-refundable airline tickets. HIS flight back to the USA was covered. Mine flight back to the USA was not covered because I was not the injured party. I hadn't taken into consideration that one of us would have to purchase a new airline ticket home. Guess I could have finished the trip without him......NOT! LOL!

Medjet Assist is a must purchase for me. For $400/year/family and up to 90 days of consecutive travel it is an essential for emergency evacuation - the situation in which you need it most. I purchase other travel insurance for certain trips, i.e. Africa, and have used Generali but (crossing fingers) have not had to make a claim.

Back