Why Arca Swiss?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I currently have one manfrotto "heavy" and a carbon travel tripod along with a monopod that I purchased some time ago. I rarely use the heavy tripod and each of them have a single column in the middle. I keep a Manfrotto style plate on the camera but don't keep them on my lenses. I am thinking about making the switch to RRS tripods.

My question is around Arc Swiss. Who uses it and why does it seem to be the standard among wildlife photographers?

Are you referring to Arca Swiss ball heads or mounting plates? If the latter, most use Arca Swiss style plates, not Arca Swiss brand.

Sorry, more specific...the Arca Swiss style plates and heads, not Arca Swiss brand per se. Just interesting that everyone seemed to standardize on that vs manfrotto style for example.

I currently have one manfrotto "heavy" and a carbon travel tripod along with a monopod that I purchased some time ago. I rarely use the heavy tripod and each of them have a single column in the middle. I keep a Manfrotto style plate on the camera but don't keep them on my lenses. I am thinking about making the switch to RRS tripods.

My question is around Arc Swiss. Who uses it and why does it seem to be the standard among wildlife photographers?
I made that same switch about 25 years ago and haven't looked back.

Advantages to Arca Swiss that come to mind:

- Much wider base of standardized accessories like: L-Brackets, Long Lens Plates, Custom Fit Camera Plates, Macro Rails, Nodal Slides, Pano Bases, etc.
- Much wider array of matching commercial offerings in things like: Ballheads, Gimbal Heads, etc.
- Ability to adjust balance point on things like long lenses by sliding the Arca Swiss plate forwards or backwards
- Same ability to slide fore and aft makes for a very handy macro focusing rail if you don't need the precision of a geared slide
- Ability to mix and match components using the Arca Swiss sytem like: slapping a Wimberley SideKick or equivalent on an Arca Swiss equipped Ballhead for a quick and fast gimbal mount, ability to add an Arca Swiss Nodal Slide to a full Wimberley gimbal head when you want to mount a camera directly but are running a full gimbal in the field, ability to easily clamp flash brackets right to Arca Swiss long lens plates, etc.

I just find the Arca Swiss system (regardless of vendor) very flexible and useful in many shooting situations in ways square plates like my Manfrotto plates were not.

Last edited:
The Arca Swiss plates are a lot more secure, and you can get plates that are custom fit to the camera, which also prevents the plate from twisting under stress. Good ones are also not as bulky as the Manfrotto style stuff. I have not missed Manfrotto stuff for a minute since switching.

After purchasing my D850 a number of years ago, I purchased the RRS L bracket and BH-50 ballhead and was amazed at the ease of use and regret not having move to the "Acra Swiss" system earlier. Have since replaced all of my lens feet with those from RRS. I found that the Manfrotto system was somewhat clumsy for me.

To the above comments I'd add jut one: there doesn't seem to be a universal standard for the width of the dovetail that all manufacturers use in making their plates. I have three L-brackets that are all the same width, but a fourth, from a different manufacturer, requires adjustment of the quick-release. It's no big deal, but is a bit of a nuisance.
On that note, I chose a ballhead with a screw-down clamp instead of a quick release. The former is more forgiving for plates that are a bit too large or too small. You can adjust a quick release, but then you need to adjust it back again. and forgetting to adjust it with a smaller plate can spell disaster if the lens or body slips out of the clamp.

--Ken

FWIW, I've found the Arca Swiss plate sizes to be very consistent with plates from: Arca Swiss, Kirk, Really Right Stuff and Wimberley and some of the less expensive plates from: Desmond, Neewer and Benro. But I've also bought some plates that didn't fit as well from other companies that sell on eBay and Amazon.

I don't have an extensive list nor have I tested all that many plates but I tend to stick to brands I know and have had good luck with.

The better quality clamps conforming to the A-S or 501PL "standard" (501PL is used on video heads) have a wider clamping tolerance. So, you can adjust the tolerance of the moveable jaw eg the lever clamps on Acratech ball heads, and the Gimpro gimbal. Note the adjustable nut to adjust the throw of the Gimpro jaw, operated by the lever. Although this closely follows the RRS clamp design (eg PG-CC), the latter cannot be adjusted (strangely?).

1620039522244.png

Jobu is another member of the informal N American consortium, who manufacture their A-S plates to match the specs of the RRS lever-action clamps

More here on Arca-Swiss.

A word of warning - hard won experience. I used the long A-S plate supplied by Gimpro with their gimbal. This sheared out of the clamp of an Acratech ballhead! The reason is the lips had been CNC machined to be too flat = insufficient. Lesson carefully check any suspect plate under extra heavy load/torque. Even better, secure the lens rig with a QR safety lanyard to the actual tripod.

My 500 PF have never recovered fully. To avoid further foul ups, I mangled the badly designed plate with hammer and tyre lever in a vice

FWIW, I've found the Arca Swiss plate sizes to be very consistent with plates from: Arca Swiss, Kirk, Really Right Stuff and Wimberley and some of the less expensive plates from: Desmond, Neewer and Benro. But I've also bought some plates that didn't fit as well from other companies that sell on eBay and Amazon.

I don't have an extensive list nor have I tested all that many plates but I tend to stick to brands I know and have had good luck with.

Last edited:
Besides Manfrotto's RC2 system, there is the 501 system of plates and clamps for heavy video rigs.
This is more robust, generally faster to operate, and it has better inherent safety features. Widely cloned (eg by Sirui), the 501 is in some ways similar to Arca-Swiss. This also uses dovetailed plates, but the plates are 50mm wide and also deeper (~10mm). The clamp uses an adjustable "toggle" lever to tighten the securing jaw by a ~ 1/4 turn. The 501 anti-slip security feature is more reliable than the anti-slide pins/pegs in a A-S plate, as the 501 clamps secures the plate within the clamp, even if with a loose jaw; depress a spring-loaded safety pin before sliding out the plate.

For some wildlife shooters, a 501 system is ideal for heavy expensive telephoto rigs, especially if you want to use a fluid head. But there is nothing wrong with the reputable A-S clamps and plates, provided one sticks to basic safety protocols when locking and removing.

Last edited:
I've been using the Manfrotto RC2 QR system for years and have found it very good for my use. There is a reason why the Acra Swiss type are so popular which, as has been said, is the quality and the number of accessories that are available. However be warned that many (most?) of the cheap ones can be of lower quality and the fitting is often not as good as the big brands in terms of being a bit loose or tight. The manufacture is more haphazard.

I don't buy from RRS because the owner supports causes i strongly disagree with, but outside of that I am the first to acknowledge they have the best gear for wildlife photographers - they clearly design from the needs back and do a great job at it. Instead I will use Gitzo, Arca or Wimberly - none of them offer as consistent a line as RRS but if you pick and choose from all 3 you can get to pretty much the same solution.
The posts above describe very well why Arca plates have become the standard - they're just so much better suited for the needs of a wildlife photographer. Which continues to baffle me that Nikon tele lenses don't come with an Arca foot standard... it's just silly.

I made that same switch about 25 years ago and haven't looked back.

Advantages to Arca Swiss that come to mind:

- Much wider base of standardized accessories like: L-Brackets, Long Lens Plates, Custom Fit Camera Plates, Macro Rails, Nodal Slides, Pano Bases, etc.
- Much wider array of matching commercial offerings in things like: Ballheads, Gimbal Heads, etc.
- Ability to adjust balance point on things like long lenses by sliding the Arca Swiss plate forwards or backwards
- Same ability to slide fore and aft makes for a very handy macro focusing rail if you don't need the precision of a geared slide
- Ability to mix and match components using the Arca Swiss sytem like: slapping a Wimberley SideKick or equivalent on an Arca Swiss equipped Ballhead for a quick and fast gimbal mount, ability to add an Arca Swiss Nodal Slide to a full Wimberley gimbal head when you want to mount a camera directly but are running a full gimbal in the field, ability to easily clamp flash brackets right to Arca Swiss long lens plates, etc.

I just find the Arca Swiss system (regardless of vendor) very flexible and useful in many shooting situations in ways square plates like my Manfrotto plates were not.
DRwyoming really nailed the reasons. I made the change when I purchased my Wimberley gimbal head and never looked back and no regrets. My personal preference is RRS and Wimberley. RRS manufacturers L Brackets and lense plates and more, Wimberley manufacturers camera plates and lense plates. Both work excellent with each other.

I've been using the Manfrotto RC2 QR system for years and have found it very good for my use. There is a reason why the Acra Swiss type are so popular which, as has been said, is the quality and the number of accessories that are available. However be warned that many (most?) of the cheap ones can be of lower quality and the fitting is often not as good as the big brands in terms of being a bit loose or tight. The manufacture is more haphazard.

I've also been using the Manfrotto system for many years, and while it's not as flexible as the Arca Swiss system, it works for me quite nicely. I use it on my scopes as well as my cameras, and I never had a single problem with it.

As many have mentioned, the Arca Swiss standard is most common, simple and well built.
It helps maintain a common "eco system", particularly when having multiple camera bodies as well as tripods / monopods.
I use it with my Gitzo Monopod (with RRS Head) as well as my GorillaPod 5k. I regret not having the same for my Manfrotto Befree GT..
I will search if Manfrotto or any other Manufacturer offer an adapter to change from Manfrotto to Arca Swiss.

Regardless of which system you use, I strongly recommend tightening / checking the screws every 2 weeks or so.. as they always tend to loosen up with time.

If I may add a "me too" comment: I switched to the Arca Swiss system about 10 years ago and haven't regretted it for a moment. I was never happy with or confident of the Manfrotto plates, but AS just seems to work.
One additional thing: I've seen a lot of comments ever since I was considering switching about compatibility and I personally have never had an issue with the plates, L-brackets and clamps I have - and they are from several different manufacturers. I have American and Chinese gear and it's all good. Most recently, I bought a 3-Legged Thing L-bracket for my Z6 II and it's probably the best designed of my L-brackets.

If I may add a "me too" comment: I switched to the Arca Swiss system about 10 years ago and haven't regretted it for a moment. I was never happy with or confident of the Manfrotto plates, but AS just seems to work.
One additional thing: I've seen a lot of comments ever since I was considering switching about compatibility and I personally have never had an issue with the plates, L-brackets and clamps I have - and they are from several different manufacturers. I have American and Chinese gear and it's all good. Most recently, I bought a 3-Legged Thing L-bracket for my Z6 II and it's probably the best designed of my L-brackets.
I have a mix of plates and have not had any issues, but if I had a heavy, expensive payload, I would probably opt for a known quality brand. I would not want to learn about any quality issues of a cheap unknown knockoff the hard way.

--Ken

I am a complete rookie when it comes to gimbal heads. I do not know who RRS is, although I see in a post above that they have the best gear for wildlife photographers.

I am going to be getting the Nikon 500mm lens so I am thinking I will be needing a gimbal. Will someone please tell me where to look for more information? I see Gimbal heads from $99 to over $1,000. I need help making an intelligent decision.

Thank you.

I am a complete rookie when it comes to gimbal heads. I do not know who RRS is, although I see in a post above that they have the best gear for wildlife photographers.

I am going to be getting the Nikon 500mm lens so I am thinking I will be needing a gimbal. Will someone please tell me where to look for more information? I see Gimbal heads from $99 to over $1,000. I need help making an intelligent decision.

Thank you.
Wimberley used to be about the only game in town for full sized gimbal heads but these days there are many brands out there. You can also go with a side loading gimbal or something like the Wimberley Sidekick that works like a side loading gimbal but relies on having a good ballhead below it. Some folks go that route to save weight or cash especially if they'll shoot a lot of other subjects like landscapes where a good ballhead is very helpful.

I've used gimbal heads from: Benro, Jobu, Really Right Stuff, Movo, Induro, Sirui and others in various workshops and have owned the original, the Sidekick and the WH-200 head from Wimberley. They all get the job done in terms of easy single finger pan and tilt and can be balanced so the lens can be left pointing at any angle and stay put hands free. I find the Wimberely and Really Right Stuff to be the smoothest with the best friction adjustment of those I've tried but you pay a premium for that and really any of these work just fine.

Frankly my Wimberely WH-200 is just sitting on a shelf right now because I picked up a Flexshooter Pro head which looks like a ballhead but acts like a gimbal head. Any heavy duty ballhead can be used with long lenses but it can be hard to get just the right friction setting and hard to avoid the dreaded 'ballhead flop' where your big rig and camera slam down to one side or the other when you take your hands off of it. IOW, ballheads aren't really hands free devices when used with big lenses. Gimbal heads avoid this by limiting their degrees of freedom and so does the Flexshooter Pro as though it looks like a ballhead it's only free to move around two axes: pan and tilt and can't flop over to the side on what would be called the roll axis in aviation circles. Ballheads are free to move in all those directions (pan, tilt, roll) and that extra degree of freedom is what leads to ballhead flop.

Anyway, you might Google some videos and reviews on different gimbal heads but I wouldn't rule out a Flexshooter Pro as it's a nice compact alternative to a full gimbal and that's coming from someone that's been running high end Wimberley gimbal heads for several decades. For the record I'm using the Flexshooter Pro with my 600mm f/4 and cameras up to the D5 so it's very sturdy and can handle big loads.

Last edited:

Thank you.
The Wimberley gimbal is used by many photographers. https://tripodhead.com/products/wimberley-main.cfm

The Jobu Design gimbals mentioned above are good, too. Some models are a little smaller than most full gimbals.

Wimberley used to be about the only game in town for full sized gimbal heads but these days there are many brands out there. You can also go with a side loading gimbal or something like the Wimberley Sidekick that works like a side loading gimbal but relies on having a good ballhead below it. Some folks go that route to save weight or cash especially if they'll shoot a lot of other subjects like landscapes where a good ballhead is very helpful.

I've used gimbal heads from: Benro, Jobu, Really Right Stuff, Movo, Induro, Sirui and others in various workshops and have owned the original, the Sidekick and the WH-200 head from Wimberley. They all get the job done in terms of easy single finger pan and tilt and can be balanced so the lens can be left pointing at any angle and stay put hands free. I find the Wimberely and Really Right Stuff to be the smoothest with the best friction adjustment of those I've tried but you pay a premium for that and really any of these work just fine.

Frankly my Wimberely WH-200 is just sitting on a shelf right now because I picked up a Flexshooter Pro head which looks like a ballhead but acts like a gimbal head. Any heavy duty ballhead can be used with long lenses but it can be hard to get just the right friction setting and hard to avoid the dreaded 'ballhead flop' where your big rig and camera slam down to one side or the other when you take your hands off of it. IOW, ballheads aren't really hands free devices when used with big lenses. Gimbal heads avoid this by limiting their degrees of freedom and so does the Flexshooter Pro as though it looks like a ballhead it's only free to move around two axes: pan and tilt and can't flop over to the side on what would be called the roll axis in aviation circles. Ballheads are free to move in all those directions (pan, tilt, roll) and that extra degree of freedom is what leads to ballhead flop.

Anyway, you might Google some videos and reviews on different gimbal heads but I wouldn't rule out a Flexshooter Pro as it's a nice compact alternative to a full gimbal and that's coming from someone that's been running high end Wimberley gimbal heads for several decades. For the record I'm using the Flexshooter Pro with my 600mm f/4 and cameras up to the D5 so it's very sturdy and can handle big loads.

Thank you for the complete and thorough reply. I now can go do some serious homework.

Wink

Back