Why I upgraded to the OM-1 mk 2

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Tom Reynolds

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In fact "why I upgraded ONE of my three OM-1 cameras to the mk2.

Anyone who shoots, or is considering shooting, an OM Systems OM-1 for bird photography knows, or ought to know, that there are tradeoffs between the m43 format and a full frame format, a Nikon Z-8/600pf for example.

If the goal is ultra-low weight, ruggedness, compactness and low acquisition cost, then the OM-1 and a 100-400 zoom is an obvious choice. If one makes that choice, then most probably one is giving up some image quality to the Z-8/600pf competitor. Well, what can one do about that? For example, for perched birds can OM Systems highly developed High-Res computational mode produce equivalent detail. Even hand-held, you do wind up with a 50mp raw file, but I have my doubts that it is equivalent to what a Z-8/600pf can produce. Birds-in-flight, however, may favor the OM-1/zoom as the evolved ProCapture (pre-capture) and the flexibility of a zoom may produce better action images if not higher IQ images.

Interestingly, the equation changes when the OM System shooter chooses one of the two pro lenses applicable to bird photography. In this case the new Mark 2 may change the equation somewhat. First, in both the case of a 300f4 and the case of a 150-400 the native IQ is likely to be equivalent sans the subject isolation advantage of the full frame sensor. The Mark 2 extends these capabilities.

1-The mark 2 has better image stabilization than the mark 1 and a pro lens works in conjunction with the camera's image stabilization to produce incredible image stabilization. For perched birds that makes using High-Res mode more effective. More importantly the image stabilization allows the OM shooter to dramatically slow the shutter speed to reduce ISO and increase dynamic range. True, even perched birds move but professionals are having good success firing off sequences @ 50 f/s expecting to get some images where the bird is not moving. So, with a mark 2 and a pro lens can I use these two techniques to get perched bird images the equivalent of the Z-8/600pf? I think I'd like to find out.

2-The mark 2's buffer is something like 250 shots so @ 50 f/s I still have 5 seconds worth of shooting. So when I am tracking a BIF in flight why am I not always in ProCapture mode. After all something unexpected may very well happen and if I routinely store 1/3 second (17 frames) in pre-capture I won't miss it. I think, going to Laguna Seca Ranch, I want a shot of a male Painted Bunting in flight flying towards me. So, my plan is the track every male Painted Bunting I see in ProCapture @ 50 f/s and then spend 2 months sifting through a zillion images for that one great shot.

Anyhow, that's why I upgraded one OM-1, the one that has a 300f4 attached.

Congrats Tom!

While I envy the features of the OM-1 ii, I'm not jumping on the upgrade train at this time as I'm completely satisfied with what I have with the OM-1. I honestly believe investing in a 150-400 TC is much more worthwhile than upgrading bodies. That lens is, in my opinion, the best wildlife and birding lens available given it's range, weatherproofing, handheld ability and quality. I think the MP wars in forums are for people shooting bats in a dark closet. I remember reading Ken Rockwell stating he sold a billboard to McDonalds of a 2 MP photo.

I personally wouldn't use the high res mode on a perched bird (they're always moving slightly) and with the reach of a 150-400 TC if you're not adequately filling the frame you're not close enough anyway.

I've never used procapture on flying birds. Even with interacting flying birds such as short-eared owls I think you can catch action via traditional shooting techniques. My impression is procapture is best for birds near a feeder or just above a food source that will contest positions on a staging perch or a bird that is about to take off (ideally toward you) coming from a thin solitary perch. That allows you keep the zoom tighter and predict the size of wing spread for an ideal photo without having to crop much.

I'll be interested in following your impressions with the new body. For my style of shooting, the only time I fill the buffer temporarily is when using procapture. I don't think it's ever really cost me shots, with the exception of when I accidentally fully press the shutter when not intending to.

In fact "why I upgraded ONE of my three OM-1 cameras to the mk2.

Anyone who shoots, or is considering shooting, an OM Systems OM-1 for bird photography knows, or ought to know, that there are tradeoffs between the m43 format and a full frame format, a Nikon Z-8/600pf for example.

If the goal is ultra-low weight, ruggedness, compactness and low acquisition cost, then the OM-1 and a 100-400 zoom is an obvious choice. If one makes that choice, then most probably one is giving up some image quality to the Z-8/600pf competitor. Well, what can one do about that? For example, for perched birds can OM Systems highly developed High-Res computational mode produce equivalent detail. Even hand-held, you do wind up with a 50mp raw file, but I have my doubts that it is equivalent to what a Z-8/600pf can produce. Birds-in-flight, however, may favor the OM-1/zoom as the evolved ProCapture (pre-capture) and the flexibility of a zoom may produce better action images if not higher IQ images.

Interestingly, the equation changes when the OM System shooter chooses one of the two pro lenses applicable to bird photography. In this case the new Mark 2 may change the equation somewhat. First, in both the case of a 300f4 and the case of a 150-400 the native IQ is likely to be equivalent sans the subject isolation advantage of the full frame sensor. The Mark 2 extends these capabilities.

1-The mark 2 has better image stabilization than the mark 1 and a pro lens works in conjunction with the camera's image stabilization to produce incredible image stabilization. For perched birds that makes using High-Res mode more effective. More importantly the image stabilization allows the OM shooter to dramatically slow the shutter speed to reduce ISO and increase dynamic range. True, even perched birds move but professionals are having good success firing off sequences @ 50 f/s expecting to get some images where the bird is not moving. So, with a mark 2 and a pro lens can I use these two techniques to get perched bird images the equivalent of the Z-8/600pf? I think I'd like to find out.

2-The mark 2's buffer is something like 250 shots so @ 50 f/s I still have 5 seconds worth of shooting. So when I am tracking a BIF in flight why am I not always in ProCapture mode. After all something unexpected may very well happen and if I routinely store 1/3 second (17 frames) in pre-capture I won't miss it. I think, going to Laguna Seca Ranch, I want a shot of a male Painted Bunting in flight flying towards me. So, my plan is the track every male Painted Bunting I see in ProCapture @ 50 f/s and then spend 2 months sifting through a zillion images for that one great shot.

Anyhow, that's why I upgraded one OM-1, the one that has a 300f4 attached.
Congrats! I also upgraded to OM-1 Mk2. For my bids/BIF needs, the AF performance is key. I run dual systems, A1 and OM-1 Mk2. So far I have tested Mk2 on a variety of BIF subjects and the AF is indeed improved over Mk1. It's noticeable. While not as good as A1, it's significantly better than before. I have both Oly100-400 and 300F4. It is a very nice, feature-rich system. I wish Sony would catch up with raw pre-capture (at the very least), not to mention focus-stacking in-camera.

I agree with Tom…it is just physics that if one pixel peeps then a Z8 and 400TC or 600TC is going to be ‘better’ at 1:1 or Steve’s recommended 2:1 in LR…but there are some points that argument ignores. Nobody looks at images at 2:1 after they’re processed…they get downsampled (maybe, depending on print size) and definitely for screen…and a lot of the better gets lost in the translation…again, just physics for ya. Weight and physical abilities and pro vs non pro also come into play. Sometimes is the enemy of good enough. I could easily see myself going to a M43 body and lens when carrying my Z9, Z8, and 2 teles plus something shorter in the bag becomes an issue for me…because at that point it will be get something lighter or don’t go…and that’s an easy decision.

Thanks for the comments on the OM-1 mk2 improved AF, especially compared to the OM-1 mk1 and full-frame cameras. I am on the fence with my OM-1 mk1/OMS 100-400 combo. A few more comments from members of this forum and other sites may push me to upgrade to the OM-1 mk2 and possobly the 150-400.

I am looking at the High-Res option mainly when I am carrying the 100-400. I love the light weight and compactness of this combo but the IQ suffers a bit compared to a Z-8/600pf

I received my OM-1 mark II today. It appears that I need to set Custom Mode 4 (C4) for High-Res shots and Custom Mode 3 (C3) for Pro-Capture. I will simply assign the AEL button for ProCapture and the LiveView button for High-Res.

For ProCapture I know what I want. 50 f/s (SH2) and 1/3 second (17 frames) pre-capture.

However for High-Res should I set the frame rate as high as the lens will allow and the shutter speed as fast as a reasonable ISO indicates. Generally, I think that High-Res will be most valuable when the 100-400 lens is mounted so I am limited to 25 f/s (SH2). I think the handheld High-Res mode takes 8 shots so it will take the camera 1/3 sec @ 25f/s. I think I need to experiment with the shutter speed.

What do you think?

Tom

Back