Why my photos aren't sharp Canon 600D + Tamron 150-600 G2

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello, this is my first post in this forum. I'm fairly new to photography (I started Jun 2023 and Jan 2024 with wildlife).

I bought a Tamron 150-600mm G2 last month after using a Tamron 70-300mm for six months and felt I lacked range. Though I managed to get some "decently sharp" photos (photo 1) in the last three weeks, my problem is more recent.

20240714_150-600, Avetorillo común, Fauna-6.jpg

I just came back from a trip to check that any of the wildlife photos I took weren't sharp. During the trip, I saw it but I thought that it was the LCD tricking me when zooming in on the pictures, so I kept doing them as usual.

With photos 2 and 3 I tried to keep the shutter speed above the x1, shutter speed = 600mm * 1.6 (canon crop sensor) = 960mm = +1/1000s and f/7.1 (what is supposed to be the "sweet spot" of the lens). I use the camera center focus point to get the bird in focus, and I reckon that sometimes I don't use the continuous focus mode for the bird in flight (I don't think this was the case with photo 3) and I also use the lens stabilization with mode 1, shooting handheld. What am I missing to get sharp pictures?

Photo specs: f/7.1 600mm 1/1250s ISO-400 exported straight away from lightroom.Photo specs: f/7.1 600mm 1/800s ISO-800 exported straight away from lightroom.

Photo 1 specs: f/6.3 600mm 1/1250s ISO-400 processed with lightroom.
Photo 2 specs: f/7.1 600mm 1/800s ISO-800 exported straight away from lightroom.
Photo 3 specs: f/7.1 600mm 1/1250s ISO-400 exported straight away from lightroom.

Thank you very much,

Honestly, even the first one doesn't look sharp.

If you test against a static subject and it's still bad, it's a bad lens copy. Mentioning your body might help as well (af fine tune on dslrs for example).

Jsegra …

Welcome to the BCG Forums!

My suggestion is to work towards a solution in the following way:
  • Set your camera to M mode—manual (shutter & aperture) with auto ISO.
  • Shutter: decrease Tv (time value) : choose 1/2000 s rather than 1/1000 s.
    • This will reduce motion/vibration blur.
  • Aperture: decrease Av (aperture value) : choose f/13 rather than f/6.3.
    • This will increase your depth of field — better chance of bird in focus.
    • Whilst practising just accept that bokeh won't be soft.
  • Sensor Sensitivity: increased ISO will be set by the camera.
    • Welcome to auto ISO in the thousands, not hundreds.
    • Whilst practising just accept the resultant noise.
In summary:
  • Decrease time — manual
  • Decrease aperture — manual
  • Increase ISO — auto
  • Accept the unwanted side effects: let's fix the main problem first.
… David

Last edited:
Back