If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ground fighting of kestrels 1400 srgb.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Here are some pictures of the fight with a rather radical treatment because the light and the colors were not very beautiful.

I am very sad because a couple of kestrels had settled last year in a very big tree in front of my house to nest.
The day before this fight, I saw a kestrel on top of this tree again and I was hoping that they would settle down here permanently to nest.
After that I'm afraid I won't see them again.

I only had a 300 mm camera at my disposal, I was shooting through double glazed windows, moving from one to an other (without daring to open them to avoid scaring the birds) and through branches, without really seeing or understanding what was happening because the scene was too far away.
It lasted about 30 to 45 minutes. I came back every 5, 10 minutes to take small bursts because I had to finish a job to deliver quickly. The hawks were almost motionless, and the positions had changed with each new shot.

It was only when I processed the photos in the evening, making a huge crop, that I understood the scene and discovered the state in which the last animal was, with a punctured eye.

I really regretted not to have disturbed them, that could have stopped the massacre.

kestrel_fight_01.jpg

kestrel_fight_02.jpg

kestrel_fight_03.jpg

kestrel_fight_04.jpg

kestrel_fight_05.jpg

kestrel_fight_06.jpg