Wildlife in motion #19: Reed Cormorant

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A bird that will not feature well in any beauty contest.
I have friends and family who refuse to take images of them.
However, I like all birds, and these guys have a certain charm, when the light is right.
The mature bird is mostly black with a red eye and the juvie more brownish with a pale eye.

Adult drying out
03215W D800 7552.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Juvie leaving the water
03245W D4 1896.jpg

Juvie about to land
03086W D4 0941.jpg

Adult airborne
01749W D500 6670.jpg

Juvie discussing landing rights with a Female
01626W D850 2260.jpg
Giant Kingfisher

I really like these shots. I've never understood why people have a negative bias toward Cormorants. Honestly, I think they. are beautiful. They are also very interesting and entertaining to watch. Great job with these!

However, I like all birds, and these guys have a certain charm, when the light is right.
The mature bird is mostly black with a red eye and the juvie more brownish with a pale eye.

Adult drying out
View attachment 82877

Juvie leaving the water
View attachment 82878

Juvie about to land
View attachment 82879

Adult airborneView attachment 82880

Juvie discussing landing rights with a Female View attachment 82881Giant Kingfisher
Excellent series Callie👍👍👍 That kingfisher looks like some kind of dinosaur 😂

Last edited:

Adult drying out
View attachment 82877

Juvie leaving the water
View attachment 82878

Juvie about to land
View attachment 82879

Adult airborneView attachment 82880

Juvie discussing landing rights with a Female View attachment 82881Giant Kingfisher
That kingfisher is simply magical.
Nice set of images Callie.
Happy trails.

I really like these shots. I've never understood why people have a negative bias toward Cormorants. Honestly, I think they. are beautiful. They are also very interesting and entertaining to watch. Great job with these!
Thanks Woody, I like them too!
Very nice set of images.

Phil
Thanks, Phil!
Excellent series Callie👍👍👍 That kingfisher looks like some kind of dinosaur 😂
Thanks Ralph, she sure is no beauty in that pose!
That kingfisher is simply magical.
Nice set of images Callie.
Happy trails.
Thanks, Paul, Appreciate it!

Interesting set of images! Nice to see someone else using the 80-400 lens. Although many folks, Steve included, didn't like the lens, my copy gave me a lot of nice images. The focal length paired nicely with either the 500 or 600 f4 primes.

Nice series Callie,
I also like the inclusion of the Giant Kingfisher,
Thanks for sharing.
Gavin
Dankie Gavin!
You should consider visiting Walter Sisulu! Not always, but sometimes, you get wonderful opportunities. And we have the Black Eagle!
Interesting set of images! Nice to see someone else using the 80-400 lens. Although many folks, Steve included, didn't like the lens, my copy gave me a lot of nice images. The focal length paired nicely with either the 500 or 600 f4 primes.
Thanks Karen
The 80-400 is one of the best DSRL lenses Nikon made. I have been using mine for years. I had a 200-400 f/4 and a 70-200 f/2.8 with a 2xTC. None of them is as good as the 80-400. I think I had the 200-400 from about when it came out till about 2015/16 when I bought the 80-400. I have shot 1000's of images with it. I know the "prejudice" around f/4 and f/2.8 lenses. I had both a 400 f/2.8 and a 600 f/4. I never shot wide open with then anyway. Any BG can be fixed in Photoshop and I anyway hate bokeh - I delete and remove most of those bubbles in the BG in most images, that is not what the image looked like, its a optical thing with the lens. On either the D500 or the D850 where the 80-400 lives, this lens is my go-to lens. I can walk around with it the whole day because it is not a burden and easy to handle.
I am sure that the Z series camera and lenses are an improvement over the older generation DSLR's and lenses. The autofocus are for sure. But my lens will stay on the D850 into my will. :sneaky:

Great series Callie
Thanks Allen. By the way, your PP image rocks! I think if I am ever given the opportunity to see puffins vs say Pel's Fishing owl, I would choose the puffin. Pels; fishing Owl is one of the mega bird ticks wrt owls and SA birds.

Back