Wildlife in motion #23: Black-backed Jackal attempting to catch Sandgrouse

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
There are two species of sandgrouse that one may normally see visiting water holes in the Kalahari - Namaqua and Burchell's Sandgrouse.
The sandgrouse arrives around 07:30-08:30 in summer, allowing about a window of one hour. But there are doves too and action may continue until about 10:00.
These birds live far way from water and they fly in early morning to drink. That is when this Black-back Jackal takes the opportunity to dash-in and grab.
We sat for 4 hours for five mornings and saw only 4 catches. Al the catches happened in the water, all the snapping in the air were misses.
Here are some images in no particular order taken at Cubitje Quab. Note the look on her face when she has missed and they are flying off - poor girl!
01544W D850 1255.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

01510W D500 3328.jpg

01583W D850 1311.jpg

01582W D850 1312.jpg

01738W D850 1275.jpg

Last edited:
Great set of images. Nice mix of shots gives a sense of what's going on. Yes the look after the failed attempt is priceless. I suppose we are applying human emotions to the situation but I often wonder what they're thinking.

Great set of images. Nice mix of shots gives a sense of what's going on. Yes the look after the failed attempt is priceless. I suppose we are applying human emotions to the situation but I often wonder what they're thinking.
Thanks Dan. I believe they have emotions - have seen enough ugly snarls and irritated faces on predators to understand there must be some feelings, emotions or what we like to call them! We have many comparisons where humans are juxtaposed to animals like: He's a real pig! Shes' a peacock, etc. I just love to shoot them and imagine their thoughts! :sneaky:

There are two species of sandgrouse that one may normally see visiting water holes in the Kalahari - Namaqua and Burchell's Sandgrouse.
The sandgrouse arrives around 07:30-08:30 in summer, allowing about a windows of one hour. But there are doves to and action may continue until about 10:00.
These birds live far way from water and they fly in early morning to drink. That is when this Black-back Jackal takes the opportunity to dash-in and grab.
We sat for 4 hours for five mornings and saw only 4 catches. Al the catches happened in the water, all the snapping in the air were misses.
Here are some images in no particular order taken at Cubitje Quab. Note the look on her face when she has missed and they are flying off - poor girl!
View attachment 83026

View attachment 83027

View attachment 83031

View attachment 83028

View attachment 83032
Awesome set Callie! The images really convey the emotion of the situation. Well done 👍👍👍

Cool set, Callie. Nothing like capturing some action and emotion. From its expression in #4, I can easily image the jackal was thinking or feeling, "Oh, crap!"

Cool set, Callie. Nothing like capturing some action and emotion. From its expression in #4, I can easily image the jackal was thinking or feeling, "Oh, crap!"
Kirk, Yeah! There is a grouse just to the left of her nose escaping while she was busy turning her head!

Back