Wildlife in motion #29: Lion siblings' chase and mock attack

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Rooiput, Kgalagadi TFP. (This sighting lasted more than 4 hours, there images shown maybe 2 seconds)
This female and her three cubs were busy polishing-off an eland when we arrived ± 06:42.
She left the kill first, then later the cubs. Not far away, they settled in under the shade of a tee but still kept the kill in their eye to chase off the jackals.
Around 08:20, a lone eland showed up on top of the dune to their right, coming in for a drink. Their interest was immediately piqued. All four of them started off after the eland . . .
Unfortunately, she disappeared behind the dune. However, all the lions ran up the dune and then two of the cubs, brother and sister, sat a bit looking around. Just about then they gave us a a vigorous chase down the dune, brother and sister meeting at the bottom and engaging in a mock attack on each other. (They are one year old, shot them as small three week old cubs the previous October)
These lions, being desert lions, have massive paws, as you can see on the young male. No nails, just play. Although it looks as if he is knocking her into the ground, the story does not end there. As he was walking away, she initiated another attack on his rear end and ended up on her back with her front paws stretched out after him, he just ignoring her attempt to stop him. One of the nicest lion interactions we were privileged to see.
It started with brother sitting on the higher end of the dune, seeing his sister starting down the dune, Then an explosion of feet, and the chase was on.
02964W D5OO 2687.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

02965W D5OO 2689.jpg

02966W D5OO 2693.jpg

02967W D5OO 2694.jpg

02968W D5OO 2696.jpg

02969W D5OO 2697.jpg

02970W D5OO 2699.jpg

02971W D5OO 2701.jpg

Wow! What a privilege to be there to witness this. Great set of images. I like the ‘ton sur ton’ effect of the sand and the lions, their colours match very nicely. I would actually crop out the sky in the first image, the sliver of blue is a bit distracting (just my personal opinion).

Another interesting set of images, Callie. Very different setting seeing them in the sand like this.
Thank Dan - yes, bone dry season and very little for the grazers to eat! makes for good opportunities!
Nice set, Callie. I like the added dust being kicked up; it stirs the senses as an action shot should.
Thank you, Kirk - dust is always great to add a little something to the image!
Wow! What a privilege to be there to witness this. Great set of images. I like the ‘ton sur ton’ effect of the sand and the lions, their colours match very nicely. I would actually crop out the sky in the first image, the sliver of blue is a bit distracting (just my personal opinion).
Thanks Elbert - That blue spot of sky at the top of the dune - I wanted to show the environment, dune top. I could have cropped is closer, and it would be another image, which is the way I would normally do it. For the series, I kept it. As a single image, I will re-crop it totally different!
Great series!
Thank you, Steven
You are spoiling us today Callie. So many wonderful sets.
Thanks, Wink, the Kalahari can be good to one!
Awesome set, sir!
Dankie, Koos!
Wow - lots of muscle action here. Nice catch on the play.
Thank you so much, Annamaria!

Excellent set of images Callie,
Thanks for sharing .
Gavin
Thanks Gavin, I appreciate it!

Back