Will Nikon update their lens roadmap

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
only two lenses remain to be released - 35mm S and 135mm S. Will Nikon continue to give us mere mortals trail of breadcrumbs showing us what they intend to release?

My wish list is

180/200 macro w/ tripod collar
600 PF or 600 F/5.6 (similar to the 400 f/4.5)
Fast (F/1.8 or F/2) 14 to 16mm prime
Replacement for the 180-400 TC

Of course I would like to see lenses such as lightweight version of the 400 F/4.5, 600 PF or F/5.6 (if they ever make it) and 800 PF with a built-in TC and TS / PC lens.

I seriously doubt they will continue with the roadmap. That was an advertising device to help photographers understand and believe Nikon was serious about the mirrorless system. I think Nikon has proven beyond reasonable doubt they are serious and have done quite well with the system. No need to lay out further lenses. I think they will most likely continue to fill gaps and holes in the lineup but not communicate it in the form of a roadmap.

Just my opinion.
Jeff

But ohhhh what a ride it has been! So very late out of the gates that many loyal customers gave up on them. Pundits with great knowledge and understanding forecasted their demise....

And then came wave after wave of new cameras! STUNNING selection of new lenses with even higher quality than previous Nikon glass. Firmware updates! And yes, a few recalls.....

But what a recovery they have made!

Once they get the 180-600 and 135 out they'll have basically covered what 95% of people will shoot with I think.

The other 5% want niche lenses... But not all the same niche lenses, and that'll fill out over the next 5 years probably

I doubt Nikon will ever get into the cine market, there are already many players from Arri, and Zeiss to Fujinon, Canon, and a plethora of Asian brands; Nikon can not afford to diverge any R&D resources.

Olivedr

I doubt Nikon will ever get into the cine market, there are already many players from Arri, and Zeiss to Fujinon, Canon, and a plethora of Asian brands; Nikon can not afford to diverge any R&D resources.

Olivedr

I beg to differ. The Z8 is experiencing tremendous acceptance among hybrid shooters even as still photography is slowly going away. At the sub-$5k, there are very few cameras with the Z8 capabilities and Nikon already said they are getting into it. There are no Z-mount cine lenses except some inferior Chinese ones. The issue is that Z lenses can't be adapted to other mounts because of the flange distance, so they'll be specific to Nikon. But it doesn't take much to rebody a photo lens, as both Canon and Fuji do.

I'm curious about something on your wish list, a replacement for the 180-400 TC. Just out of curiosity, what were you hoping for in a replacement? I thought the current offering was well regarded, assuming you can get one.
To start, a z mount

As much as I hope they would I highly doubt they will. I think they took a little bit of a beating putting the 200-600 on the road map and then not releasing it until 3 years later. My guess is that since the Z mount line up is pretty full (There are obvious exceptions but most of the big sellers are out or soon to be out) they won't feel the need to put another one out. I guess the one positive about having one is that you give people something to talk about and get excited about. I would guess over the next couple of years they will release Z mount versions of things like tilt shift, fish eye, and maybe some others like 600 PF or 200 f/2 but not sure they will feel the need to put them on a road map. I really hope I'm wrong because I like the idea of a road map of lens but I doubt they will.

I still cannot understand why they are ignoring 300 and 500mm lenses. Granted, the F mount PF’s are excellent but to me it would make perfect sense to add Z mount models of both plus an f2.8 in 300mm.
Because the 300 and 500 are brand new, and they can only make so many lenses (especially pf).

They'll get to it eventually.

I still cannot understand why they are ignoring 300 and 500mm lenses. Granted, the F mount PF’s are excellent but to me it would make perfect sense to add Z mount models of both plus an f2.8 in 300mm.
They will get there there is no doubt. My best guess is that most users of the 300pf used it with a 1.4tc so they decided to release the 400mm f4.5 first which alone would cover 300 + 1.4tc and the 400 4.5 with 1.4 TC covers that 500 pf range. They can only produce so many new lens a year and I think it was just timing and what their research told them. No doubt they will eventually fill out all parts of their line. I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing many of these lens show up in the next year or two.

I think if Nikon were going to update their lens roadmap they would have done it by now. I do think they need to have Z mount 200, 300, 500 tele's and I would love to see a 600/5.6 PF. They could use a long macro and a tilt/shift or two as well.

But I suspect we'll be getting the mushroom treatment and be kept in the dark on new lenses until they are announced (after they release the last 2). I hope I'm wrong tho....

I think it’s a nice to have at this point in the Nikon Z journey but whether they will or won’t is entirely unknown to anybody except for their internal team members that would have responsibility or oversight for that.

As to some of the lenses people are wanting native Z Mount lenses for, particularly the more recent PF lenses on the F Mount, I’d hazard a guess to say that Nikon’s in no rush to get Z Mount versions of those out since they’re fully capable with the FTZ or FTZ II adapters.

I’d also further hazard a guess that they’d be looking to create new optical variations, like the oft mentioned 600PF, before they look to update the newer F Mount optics.

However, I don’t know nor can I predict but regardless, whatever direction Nikon goes after their current roadmap is “complete”, I think it’s safe to say they have a pretty great lineup of lenses, with the lone exception being more work needed on their DX lineup…assuming of course that they’re serious about APS-C ☺️

Nikon stated in an investor report that they plan to release 50+ Z lenses.... So we can expect another 10 optics at least

IR Report May 2022 deploy Z9 features_50+ lenses.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back