Wilson's Snipes and Short-billed Dowitcher

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

VTRich

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Went to a local spot today where I usually see a Wilson's Snipe, or two, but generally hard to get close. Today they were all over the place and so busy feasting on worms, that I was able to get a little closer than I have in the past. Apparently, while the first two images are a Wilson's Snipe. The remaining images are of Short-Billed Dowitchers.

WilSnipe_EP-2024-May-26-9-276545-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

WilSnipe_EP-2024-May-26-9-276356-Enhanced-NR.jpg

20240526-WilSnipe_EP-2024-May-26-9-278543-NEF-Edit.jpg

20240526-WilSnipe_EP-2024-May-26-9-278552-NEF.jpg

WilSnipe_EP-2024-May-26-9-276739.jpg

20240526-WilSnipe_EP-2024-May-26-9-277524-NEF.jpg

WilSnipe_EP-2024-May-26-9-277396.jpg

Last edited:
I was just informed via a birding forum I belong to that while the first two photos above are Wilson Snipe, the remaining images are of the Short-Billed Dowitcher. They are a migratory shorebird and generally stick to salt water shores. They were last reported where I saw them in 1980 ! And last reported in the county in 2015. That explains the numbers, and why they were flying as a flock. I was using Merlin at the time for sound identification which is why I thought they were all snipe. However, it turns out I had Merlin set to only identify birds common to our area, and the DoWitchers were not in the data-base I was using.

Back