Winter Camera Gloves

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi
We get as cold as -35C up here and shooting can be a “challenge “😊. Usually, though I’m out at -5C ( -23 F ) to -20C ( -4F ). Any suggestions for good winter camera gloves ? Warm, “button friendly” and possibly touch sensitive...

Have a look at this thread! :)
Thanks. I’ve read the Shuttermuse reviews but other reviews are very helpful. Thanks!

For winter/cold weather shooting, I use Agloves Polar Sport Touchscreen gloves. They are relatively inexpensive and they keep my hands nice and warm, but I've only used them in temps as low as the upper 30º to mid 40ºF range. The temps you're describing ... I have no idea how they would fare.

For winter/cold weather shooting, I use Agloves Polar Sport Touchscreen gloves. They are relatively inexpensive and they keep my hands nice and warm, but I've only used them in temps as low as the upper 30º to mid 40ºF range. The temps you're describing ... I have no idea how they would fare.
Ok. Thanks. They might not be warm enough if I’m out fir a few hours...but I’ll check into them...

following. I have yet to find the perfect winter gloves. I'm currently using a pair of mittens with built in gloves. They are OK but would for sure like something a bit warmer.

While I have no expereince with them, these guys, HQ in Norway, are well respected.

FWIW, I use a pair of very light liner gloves under warmer gloves. If I expect to be shooting a lot (e.g. very active wildlife subjects) I'll wear the liners under some Pearl Izumi insulated cycling gloves and then warm my hands in my pockets as necessary. If the shooting will be less active I'll wear the liners under heavy ski glove/work gloves (particularly fond of Kinko insulated leather work gloves), the heavy gloves are clumsy on the camera controls but not to bad for hitting the BBAF and shutter release but if I'm not shooting very active subjects I'll just pull off the heavy gloves for a moment here and there when I need to adjust camera controls.

We regularly get temps down below -25C here and that's the best strategy I've found. If I'm working very far from the car I'll definitely have a few chemical hand warmer packs in my pockets as well though I only use them if my fingers get really cold.

Here's the light weight liners I use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hunters-Am...ountry-Camo-Hunting-Gloves-Sz-L-/143306713822

I don't think the perfect winter glove exists. I do like the Vallerret mitten with the zipper, but my favorite glove is a relatively thin "wind proof, water resistant" glove I picked up at REI and my pockets, when it isn't way below freezing. Hand warmers in the pockets also help.

Last edited:

These heated by battery gloves have worked very well for me. My aging, bony fingers become useless in cold temperatures and these saved the day. Easy to use dials, buttons, etc., while wearing these. I believe it is a Canadian company that shipped without a problem to the states.

Mark Robinson

This post has a bit of age too it, anyone have any updates to some other gloves out there, I am in Wyoming, don't do the extremes, but do want to keep my previously frozen fingers warm.
I just use fingerless fishing gloves. Work great at reasonable temperatures. ( -4C ). Don’t know how they’ll work up here in the Canadian Rockies in mid January, though !

I've gone round and round with gloves/mittens. My fingers were frostbitten many years ago and consequently have poor circulation and get cold easily. I mean COLD. Can't feel camera buttons nor press the shutter release within a minute or two in sub freezing conditions. When skiing, shoveling snow, etc, even heavily insulated ski gloves don't work for very long. The only thing that really works for me is heavy mittens. So what I've finally settled on for shooting in cold conditions is a pair of really thin gloves inside mittens plus hand warming packs. In my non-trigger hand I put a hand warmer inside the mitten and a thin glove on my hand. I can carry/handle camera/tripod for quite a while in conditions well below zero. For my shooting hand I wear the same thing when walking around etc. Once I set up to shoot I remove the mitten and keep my thinly gloved hand in my coat pocket with a hand warming pack until ready to actually pull the trigger. The thin glove does little more than provide a little protection from wind. If my hand stays out long enough to get chilled the hand warmer brings it back pretty quickly. If there's a lot of action going on it is still a slow, losing battle. But it works better than any alternatives that I've tried to reach a balance between keeping warm and being able to work the camera to my satisfaction.

I've gone round and round with gloves/mittens. My fingers were frostbitten many years ago and consequently have poor circulation and get cold easily. I mean COLD. Can't feel camera buttons nor press the shutter release within a minute or two in sub freezing conditions. When skiing, shoveling snow, etc, even heavily insulated ski gloves don't work for very long. The only thing that really works for me is heavy mittens. So what I've finally settled on for shooting in cold conditions is a pair of really thin gloves inside mittens plus hand warming packs. In my non-trigger hand I put a hand warmer inside the mitten and a thin glove on my hand. I can carry/handle camera/tripod for quite a while in conditions well below zero. For my shooting hand I wear the same thing when walking around etc. Once I set up to shoot I remove the mitten and keep my thinly gloved hand in my coat pocket with a hand warming pack until ready to actually pull the trigger. The thin glove does little more than provide a little protection from wind. If my hand stays out long enough to get chilled the hand warmer brings it back pretty quickly. If there's a lot of action going on it is still a slow, losing battle. But it works better than any alternatives that I've tried to reach a balance between keeping warm and being able to work the camera to my satisfaction.
I was thinking about the hand warming packs...thanks for your great reply.

This is what I have used:

These are battery-powered heated glove liners. For photography, you can use just the liners without overgloves and this provides adequate dexterity. These are the same gloves that Mark refers to in a comment above.

I use OR Flurry sensor gloves. They are fairly warm, have decent grip, are thin enough to operate most controls, and allow for touch screen operation. It is difficult to operate small buttons with any glove that covers the fingers. They work well for me, as long as I don’t forget to bring them along. A friend of mine uses mittens that have a cover that you can flip over exposing the fingertips. I bought a pair, but they are too bulky for me to use without having my fingers exposed.

edit: another idea would be to get a pair of wool gloves similar to the OR Flurry and cut the tip of the thumb and fingers you use for controls. This might be the best option.

Hi
We get as cold as -35C up here and shooting can be a “challenge “😊. Usually, though I’m out at -5C ( -23 F ) to -20C ( -4F ). Any suggestions for good winter camera gloves ? Warm, “button friendly” and possibly touch sensitive...
I usually wear the wrong gloves, get them wet, then freeze my extremities off, ***** about it all, then do the same thing next time. Hand/toe warmers help, but it's never enough to keep me totally toasty, but then, I live in Buffalo, NY!

I use either cheap fleece gloves with the tips of the thumb and forefinger cut off or inexpensive liner gloves inside a pair or leather "chopper mitts" with fleece liners. Bulky but fairly warm. Of course the mitten has to come off the do anything with the camera. Usually I keep chemical handwarmers inside the mittens -- but if my hands get really cold the handwarmers won't re-warm them. I learned my lesson in the winter of 1966-67 when I worked for an outfit that had a policy of working outside until it was -40°F (that's a bit chilly) and my hands haven't been the same since.

Back