If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

la551ve3

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was on a mission to get some gif (geese in flight) shots with my D500 + 500mm pf and didn't bother bring anything smaller than a 105mm. I watched and shot some single geese fly overhead when all of a sudden 10s of 1000s of snow geese sitting in the pond decided to lift off. I had a d850 with the 105 and just aimed and hoped for the best. Unfortunately the shutter speed was a bit slow (as was the AF) and the "long" lens only captured a narrow view of the scene . Sure wish I had my 24-70mm with me but even that would have been to big. Maybe a fisheye??

_8508986 copy 2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I was on a mission to get some gif (geese in flight) shots with my D500 + 500mm pf and didn't bother bring anything smaller than a 105mm. I watched and shot some single geese fly overhead when all of a sudden 10s of 1000s of snow geese sitting in the pond decided to lift off. I had a d850 with the 105 and just aimed and hoped for the best. Unfortunately the shutter speed was a bit slow (as was the AF) and the "long" lens only captured a narrow view of the scene . Sure wish I had my 24-70mm with me but even that would have been to big. Maybe a fisheye??

View attachment 28153
Incredible shot! Awesome👍👍👍 I’ve been waiting for them to make there way to New Jersey.

View attachment 28153
Holy cow! That had to have been loud! Yes, a wide angle would have been nice but we shoot what we have with us. Neat sight!

About 5 years ago Leslie and I were at Goose Pond Wildlife Area in Indiana. There were 100,000 snow geese on one of the lakes. An eagle flew over and they all lifted off at the same time. It was chaos and sounded like a jet aircraft engine. Like you I didn't have the right lens on but I'll never forget the experience.

Great photo by the way.

When the big flocks that make their way up here in the winter get spooked, often by an eagle overhead, it is amazing and deafening as others have described above. I am glad you got a chance to experience it. I find the level of the sound jsut as amazing as the sheer number of birds in the air. And I think that your image is fine. Its a nice capture.

--Ken

View attachment 28153
Wow, that is a lift off. I saw one from around 300 yards and yours looks much closer. The noise must have been deafening!!!!!!!!!

Capturing large flocks well is harder than it seems. I don't think going any wider would necessarily be any more effective. This shot is nice in that you have the closer birds just launching and a more distant group already at altitude. I like it.

I think that photo tells a story very well; the most appropriate lens is the one that gets the shot when something suddenly happens! Great capture!

Thanks everyone for your kind words. The sound was pretty awesome. So many geese honking at once it was impossible to distinguish individual honks. It was just one continues loud tone.

Later, I shot some video when more geese were incoming but the wind noise coming into the D850 mic pretty much ruined it.

There are so many ways you can try to capture this kind of an event. I have tried over the years and if you get too tight, this is what it can look like:
20101230_KSA-13046_DER.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I think the OP did a great job of capturing the event. And apologies for posting an image on the OP's thread. It was mostly just to illustrate my point.

--Ken