with af area cycle available, do we still need to assign a button for af area or is handoff still needed?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

since version 2 firmware of Nikon z8 has this af area cycle functionality, we can assign a button to cycle through the different af areas. Now the question is do we still need to assign custom button for different af area mode? Is af handoff still needed?

I still handoff from a more localized area to a wide area like 3D or Auto frequently. In cases with multiple subjects(and with it multiple eyes to detect) or cluttered environments it can help to limit the AF area for initial acquisition and then handoff to a wider mode to track action or recompose.

Sure in a lot of situations just starting in 3D or Auto can detect and start tracking the subject right away especially if it’s one subject in the clear but it’s nice to have handoff options for more difficult situations.

I still liked to have a main AF mode and a secondary AF mode. I would use the cycle function limited to maybe 3-4 modes and that would be sufficient most of the time but in the heat of the moment if you are still using handoff method then it is much easier to just push the custom button to recall that specific AF mode and handoff. If you rely on cycling then it may take too long to cycle or you forget how many presses to do to get to the mode you want in the handoff.

I haven't tried handoff with AF area cycling…but it seems that if you've got focus persistence turned on it ought to work. Finger of the AF On button, toggle the area, and Finger on AF On and it ought to work. However…I think this would be one of those situations where you only wanted a pair of areas on the cycle button or else the subject might move out of the focus persistence area or distance…and rather than limit cycle to 2 areas I think that using a second button for AF Area and AF On for handoff would be more efficient…assuming you've got a button you're willing to use for that. I'm currently keeping just 4 areas on my cycle button because they're about the only ones I use…and while my setup is a lot like Steve's I also use some of Hudson Henry's ideas…DISP gets a specific area and AF On, AF ON uses the currently selected area and the DISP area is not on the cycle option…and Fn is for DX and Fn2 is RSF Hold with SD Off. If I really need one of the other areas…either the iMenu or AF Area button on the front left gets me there.

I still have my Z9 setup for an AF handoff for Auto and 3D, but to be honest with the cycling AF modes now available (setup on the video button) I find that I don’t do the handoff as often as a used to. That’s also in part due to the Auto mode being more robust. I find myself in that mode most of the time, with single point and the smaller areas some time depending upon the background. I find I can cycle through to a desired mode fairly quickly.

Thanks everyone for your reply. I learned that cycle through different af options will cause refocus, but handoff will not. I tried and do not see difference though.

yep, still needed. i shot more than 70k photos over the weekend and used ALL of the three modes (wide area on shutter, 3d on a with and without handoff, single point on lens button) and cycle for my primary mode

Back