Wolves corner bison at Yellowstone

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rob Pedowitz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
These photos were taken in Yellowstone National Park. I have deliberately not posted the gorier images and apologize in advance if anyone finds these photos disturbing. On the morning of January 20, 2024, a pack of ten wolves cornered a bison at the edge of the Firehole River. We watched for about six hours as the wolves took turns keeping the bison on its feet, biting at its tail, while carefully avoiding a kick or gore. It was amazing to see how the group conserved energy as they patiently wore out the bison, supervised by the alpha male. Their interactions were mesmerizing. At the end, just before sunset, when it was clear that the bison was exhausted, the wolves attacked as a group. To our compete surprise, the bison forced itself to its feet and simply walked into the river (something it could have done hours earlier). It was as if the bison preferred to control its final moments. I was particularly struck by the intensity of the wolves’ eyes as they watched from the shoreline. As the light faded, the bison succumbed in the river. During the night the carcass washed to shore, and by morning there was nothing but bones. It was an awesome, fascinating, and humbling experience.

Attachments

• Wolves Bison Yellowstone 1 Pedowitz.jpg
    Wolves Bison Yellowstone 1 Pedowitz.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 311
  • Wolves Bison Yellowstone 2 Pedowitz.jpg
    Wolves Bison Yellowstone 2 Pedowitz.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 260
  • Wolves Bison Yellowstone 3 Pedowitz.jpg
    Wolves Bison Yellowstone 3 Pedowitz.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 323
  • Wolves Bison Yellowstone 4 Pedowitz.jpg
    Wolves Bison Yellowstone 4 Pedowitz.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 313
  • Wolves Bison Yellowstone 5 Pedowitz.jpeg
    Wolves Bison Yellowstone 5 Pedowitz.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 308
great sequence. I have, for many years, stated nature is neither cruel nor kind, nature is.

this is a perfect example. The bison was probably old, sick, injured, or somehow not "perfect." The bison perished and the wolves and other creatures lived. The death of the bison isn't something to rejoice over nor is it something to mourn. It as it should be.

Thank you for sharing this sequence and story with us.

Jeff
[edited to correct misspelled word]

Last edited:
Outstanding series! That you also endured 6+ hours to witness and capture this event is clear testament of your commitment to real wildlife photography. Yellowstone in January is a brutal environment for living things to survive. You have done well…

great sequence. I have, for many years, stated nature is nether cruel nor kind, nature is.

this is a perfect example. The bison was probably old, sick, injured, or somehow not "perfect." The bison perished and the wolves and other creatures lived. The death of the bison isn't something to rejoice over nor is it something to mourn. It as it should be.

Thank you for sharing this sequence and story with us.

Jeff
I think you are right Jeff. Something must have been going on with the bison to get cornered. Circle of life. Thanks.

Outstanding series! That you also endured 6+ hours to witness and capture this event is clear testament of your commitment to real wildlife photography. Yellowstone in January is a brutal environment for living things to survive. You have done well…
Thanks Larry. The time flew by, though it was getting a touch cold at the end.

These photos were taken in Yellowstone National Park. I have deliberately not posted the gorier images and apologize in advance if anyone finds these photos disturbing. On the morning of January 20, 2024, a pack of ten wolves cornered a bison at the edge of the Firehole River. We watched for about six hours as the wolves took turns keeping the bison on its feet, biting at its tail, while carefully avoiding a kick or gore. It was amazing to see how the group conserved energy as they patiently wore out the bison, supervised by the alpha male. Their interactions were mesmerizing. At the end, just before sunset, when it was clear that the bison was exhausted, the wolves attacked as a group. To our compete surprise, the bison forced itself to its feet and simply walked into the river (something it could have done hours earlier). It was as if the bison preferred to control its final moments. I was particularly struck by the intensity of the wolves’ eyes as they watched from the shoreline. As the light faded, the bison succumbed in the river. During the night the carcass washed to shore, and by morning there was nothing but bones. It was an awesome, fascinating, and humbling experience.
Incredible sequence. That last photo says it all.

Seeing wolves within camera range is incredible regardless of circumstances. But to see this sequence - wow. And the last shot with six lined up in a row is a real winner.

Very well captured Rob,
I have witnessed a number of predator and prey interactions in my part of the world - Africa,
But have never seen wild wolves or bison, and on a hunt is very special,
Thanks for sharing,
Gavin

Back