If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wink Jones

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I had the great pleasure of getting to go to a practice flight at the World Birds of Prey Center just outside of Boise. We only got to see five of the six birds they were going to show us, as the fifth one got blown away by the wind and did not return. They told us they could not fly the last bird, as the two would not get along if the missing bird did return. It was still a wonderful hour and I relished the thought of not having to be there with the around of 300 or so expected for the actual presentation.

It was my first real outing with my Z9 and 500 PF, although the 500 proved to be more lens than was needed for most of the shots.

This first bird is an owl from Africa. I only have a couple of shots of the bird as it was flying over and through the thirty or so people in attendance. On one pass, it actually brushed the hat of a gentleman in the row in front of me, and when it returned it flew, literally, between us, as if flying a slalom course. What surprised me most was the absolute silence with which it flew. Its left wing missed me by only a few inches and the its right wing barely missed the lady in front of me as it dropped down the amphitheater to the trainer below me.

Yes, I know, I cut off its tail. I could have sworn I got it, but it was gone when I got home...

Birds of Prey-0371.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This bird took a little more of a fly around rather than flying in the crowd. I got this nice photo before I lost focus, and the next few frames were really great shots of gravel and weeds, crystal sharp, and a blurry blob. I need much more practice!

Birds of Prey-0441.jpg

This last photo is a peregrine for which the Peregrine Fund was originally named. It is now inclusive of many different raptors and is active in 27 countries around the world.

Perigrine flying 2-0479-signed copy.jpg

Attachments

• Birds of Prey-0371.jpg
    Birds of Prey-0371.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Birds of Prey-0441.jpg
    Birds of Prey-0441.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 39