Worn out...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

That's how it looked this male, thin and worned out after a forthnight spreading his genes :cool:

He started to make the way back to join his pride and take some lunch out of a kill a couple of days old.

Her mating female wasn't around, probably she was ahead of him earlier on that morning...

Mara North Conservancy, Kenya.

Z91_6844 by Marcelo Cinicola, on Flickr

1720433525587.png

Krgds, Marcelo

Excellent shot. I like the angle you caught him at. It also works that he's looking off into the distance. Like he's surveying his kingdom. Well done.

Thank you Dan! Yes, he was catching the scent of his pride to reunite (about a mile away). On its way, he played a bit with a group of zebras just to show off who's the king there...

Z91_7340-T by Marcelo Cinicola, on Flickr

Marcelo, I really like your lion. His hair is much better than mine, truly. He has the haggard look of a real wild older specimen that has done it all…. Not some poster perfect image from an African wildlife brochure.

Your second image may be better than you first thought. The viewer is challenged to determine what is going on in the scene. The zebras in the foreground are running away. When I look at it I see myself as a zebra not wanting to be on the menu. Dynamic shots like this, that show species relationships are always more interesting to me.

Marcelo, I really like your lion. His hair is much better than mine, truly. He has the haggard look of a real wild older specimen that has done it all…. Not some poster perfect image from an African wildlife brochure.

Your second image may be better than you first thought. The viewer is challenged to determine what is going on in the scene. The zebras in the foreground are running away. When I look at it I see myself as a zebra not wanting to be on the menu. Dynamic shots like this, that show species relationships are always more interesting to me.

Thank you Larry for your comments.

Yes, I agree about the 2nd pic, it was fully intentional to try showing the Lion chasing out the zebras that were grassing in the early hours. It was more like a show off from him than a real charge for a kill. It looked to me like he was just having some fun.
My guide (I had the car for my own) was really good at positioning the truck in the right angle for the light and more often than not, I could take advantage of it.

Back