Would you still purchase a Nikon 600/4 today

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’m thinking about purchasing a used Nikon NIKKOR AF-S 600mm f/4E FL ED VR to go with my Z9 and my D6 I kept for low light
Any thoughts on what would be a fair price? I have one being offered to me for $7000 in I’m excellent condition and just recently serviced at Nikon. I’m sure the Z mount 600/4 is around the corner yet I’m sure the price will be extremely high . I always wanted a fixed 600/4 though just not sure if purchasing a F mount lens at this price point is a wise decision

I’m thinking about purchasing a used Nikon NIKKOR AF-S 600mm f/4E FL ED VR to go with my Z9 and my D6 I kept for low light
Any thoughts on what would be a fair price? I have one being offered to me for $7000 in I’m excellent condition and just recently serviced at Nikon. I’m sure the Z mount 600/4 is around the corner yet I’m sure the price will be extremely high . I always wanted a fixed 600/4 though just not sure if purchasing a F mount lens at this price point is a wise decision
If you can pick up one in excellent condition, jump on it asap! Make sure it’s a USA model, in case you ever need to get it serviced. That’s a great price for an awesome lens. I see them regularly selling for $8,000-$8500 in “good” condition.

I would look for one that has had its autofocus motor replaced by Nikon. This turns out to be a common point of failure and Nikon ran out of this part and it took 6 months for them to do a new production run and be able to do repairs on the lens.

If I didn't have one, I'd consider it at $7000 IF it was USA, I had some reason to think Nikon had checked out the AF motor, and I was reasonably sure the new 600 would be out of my price range. But if you don't need it right away there were some good points made earlier about the price dropping even further once the new 600 appears.

The 600 f/4 E is a superb lens. I have one and have no plans to sell it, even after the S version comes out. If looking for one, I'd buy it at that price - no question.

Value is in the eye of the beholder but personally I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a 600mm f/4 E FL for that price, it's by far my favorite lens for more serious wildlife work and an amazing piece of optics.

That's a great price for that lens. It is very sharp and quite good for lower light conditions.

At that price, you need to decide whether you want the 800mm PF or the 600mm f/4. The 600mm f/4 is clearly faster, but that means it requires a tripod and gimbal head. You're not likely to handhold the lens. It's a lens you set up in one area and use for several hours. The 800mm f/6.3 is more of a specialty lens. It's slower, but it's very light and easy to handhold. For medium and smaller birds, as well as tight mammal photos, it's a great choice. The Z teleconverters are a little better, so if you really need 1000mm or more, I'd go with the 800mm PF.

All this is great advice from someone who currently has both the 800mm PF and 600 f/4 G. Since getting the 800mm PF, I have not used the 600mm f/4, but I still am not ready to sell it.

At $7000 for the E FL version, you have very little risk. You probably can buy the lens, use it for a year or two, and sell it for $6-7000.

I have the 600 Fl, and it is a superb lens. I use it 50/50 with the TC 1.4 for 840mm. It becomes a bit awkward with the FTZ, and TC1.4. It does without question require a sturdy tripod, and gimbal head. I had the 800 pf on order but cancelled simply because I would be locked into 800mm. I am also waiting for the new Z 600mm hopefully with a built in TC 1.4.. I'm not sure its right around the corner....Nikon has halted orders for the 400 & 800 because of their inability to meet demand. I really don't see Nikon announcing a new 600 F4, and on the same day halting orders for it.. The Z 600 F4 is the lens everyone is waiting for.. I'm sure the initial order for it will far surpass the order for the 800PF, &400 F2.8..

I'd expect the resale value of the E FL version to drop significantly once a Z-mount version becomes available. I would not count on being able to sell for $6-7000 in a year or two.
That has my interest. One side of me says sell now before the value drops. On the other side is that I could be years before the Z600 is available. If it comes int at $18-20K then the value of a F-mount 600 may not drop that much.

That has my interest. One side of me says sell now before the value drops. On the other side is that I could be years before the Z600 is available. If it comes int at $18-20K then the value of a F-mount 600 may not drop that much.
hard to predict, resale value is. I've never thought about resale value when buying any photo equipment. I buy to use, and resale value is what it is when it's time to sell.

I will be putting me E/FL versions of the 400/2.8 and 600/4.0 for sale later this year. I sold both the G versions at the start of the year. WHY -- I now own the 400/2.8TC and this cover off both focal lengths on one superb lens.
My guidance is to try to obtain the E-FL version of the 400 or 600 before considering the G VRII version.

That seems like a fair price. I saw a 600 f/4E FL recently listed in the FM classifieds for slightly less and with a similar history. And somewhat related/unrelated, I tracked multiple 500 f/4E FL lenses that sold for less than $6000 on eBay. The 600 f/4E FL lenses listed on eBay at $8000 or higher expired with 0 bids. I stopped tracking a few months back.

absolutely - i too have kept my D6 and D850 as they often get shots the Z9 misses - especially on small birds where the eye detection is about 30% effective. the real reason all this is necessary is Nikon chooses not to invest in production capacity to meet the F to Z demand cycle. Instead they have scaled the manufacturing to the long-term monthly unit sales after the spike in demand is over. This is a really bad decision on their part as the F to Z migration is a significant segment of the Nikon user base. I get their rationale but is not a wise business decision. Right now - i can go buy a sony A1 and 600mmf4 in stock from the NY dealers (B&H / Adorama) so this is not covid or supply chain related. Rather it is Nikon looking to save some production dollars at the expense of brand equity. So - this is why we have to have these discussions...and will be having them for about 2 years. This is really bad news for someone my age as 2 years is a big hit out of my usable time left that i can shoot BIF with large lenses. I'm thiiiiiis close to cutting my losses and moving from the Z9 to the A1. I already have $20k of Z mount kit so it would be quite painful. Silly me for "assuming" a Z 600mm would be a priority for Nikon - or a ramp up in production capacity for the 400f2.8/800mm for that matter. Note this is not a bashing comment at all - its a - how do we manage the investment in one brand during a technology transition period.

No hesitation about the lens what so ever..............I was considering a 600 F4 G VR at $6500 AUD the prices on heavy larger Fx exotics is taking a hiding, i saw a 400 2.8 G VR $5500 AUD take $4500 AUD....at a dealer shop i sometimes buy from, except i have a 300 2.8 all ready.

500 PFs are starting to show potential, i have heard that some club members are selling soon..........as their mirror less lenses arrive.

The 600mm lenses are pro grade and heavy tripod lenses - so some models not having VR probably wont matter saving more money.
I still love my 600mm f4 and it works great on a Z9.
When the Z mount 600mm f4 is released the price of the AFS version should drop...🦘

I own the F-FL and owned 2 G versions before this. AND when the new Z 600mm f/4.0 TC comes out I may well buy this one too.
600/4.0 is my go to lens for African Safaris and since I used a 1.4TC 30% of the time I am very keen to see the new Z600mm to have in Internal TC too. LIke my Z400mm.
BUT -- the decision will be about just how much time I expect will I spend in Kenya or on the Chobe in 2023 and beyond. Right now the Z400mm f/2.8TC fills the gap for 560/4.0.

I have the 500mm PF and the 800mm PF so I have options to the 600mm focal lenth. With the 600mm there were places where I would have been better served with a shorter focal length and a greater view angle. The 500mm f/4 with teleconverters provided more usable focal length options. I would be more interested in adding a 200-600mm lens to my current kit. If price was not a concern the 400mm f/2.8 with a 1.4x teleconverter would be my preference over a 600mm f/4 lens.

The 800mm PF is a great lens but it needs the Z9 autofocus capabilities to get full use with small moving subjects.

A few things to consider. How soon do you need the lens and for how long? Rather than a purchase a 600 F/4 used, if you need is infrequent and for reasonably shorter periods, consider renting one to give yourself time to see the lens that emerge in the next year or two. Also decide if you need the F4 aperture or the focal length? Will the 600 F4 Z have a built-in TC? WIll there be light weight 600 F5.6 between the 400 F/4.5 and 800 PF F/6.3? This would be much more affordable that the 600 Z F/4 TC.

Back