Wyoming's Red Desert, a Wildlife Tour

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Beautiful photos, especially the pronghorn. I'm a tree guy, so that looks like a really bleak area but the critters don't seem to mind.
Thanks for taking us along Dave. It's been a couple of years since I've been there.
Awesome! I'm with you on getting away from the beaten path. The same thing is true in CA, I haven't been to yosemite Valley in years, too crowded except in winter, maybe. There are so many great places to go.
Wonderful photos, very inspiring. Thanks
Super! 6 is interesting
Wonderful series of photos, Dave!. I wasn't aware of the Red Desert and now only know that it is beautiful and over 9300 sq. mi., which is slightly larger than the state I live in -- NH. How could I have missed something that big?
Nice set and the sage grouse is particularly nice.
Beautiful
Awesome set, Dave. I'd love to camp out there and roam around for a few days myself. Plenty to explore and see, I'm sure. The wild horses are the most awesome capture.
Great set, very interesting, thanks for posting. !!
Wonderful set of images Dave.
Happy trails.
Awesome set Dave! Looks & sounds like you had a great time.Well done👍👍👍
Great set of images - thanks for sharing
These are great, Dave. Beautiful.
A truly delightful set of images, Dave! Each one so well done and such a wide variety of subjects. I'd never heard of the horned lark....great shot! Sage looks like it is in full bloom. Even the images of the more common residents are interesting in that they are mid-flight/mid-run, etc!
Such a pleasure to view! Those Elk look they've been running for some time, from what? And that Sage Grouse, WOW!
Dave, wonderful series, love the landscape - the colours and lack of green! Nice action images too and then that Sage Grouse will win no prices for his hair do but it is a priceless image!
There are still some wild places left. Great pics, Dave. Compositions are great, and that mustang hers id terrific. :)
Great shots...I'd love to live in Wyoming but too much snow and cold in the winter.
Great images, Dave. Thanks for sharing.
All really good, the Mustang and Sage Grouse shots especially appeal to me!
Thanks everyone for the kind words, much appreciated!

Dave, do you need a 4WD or at least high clearance vehicle to get to good photo locations there? It wouldn't be too long of a drive for me to get there, but I might not have the right kind of car.

Dave, do you need a 4WD or at least high clearance vehicle to get to good photo locations there? It wouldn't be too long of a drive for me to get there, but I might not have the right kind of car.
I made the trip in our 2WD van and didn't run into problems. Most of the roads were in very good shape, I hit some ruts up by the Oregon Buttes area but even those were manageable in 2WD by driving slow in a low gear. If you come in from the South off of I80 the roads I drove were in very good shape down that way.

Oh wow! Love the series of photos you captured.

My brother took me there one year as I was looking for wild horses. He has been all over that area( Rock Springs) and knows it well.

We went to Adobe town as well.

Last edited:
Relatives in Riverton, would this area be good for day trips?…..Thx & great images!
Well it's probably a bit more than 3 hours down to the Kilpecker Sand Dunes area in the Red Desert from Riverton so maybe 6 to 7 hours round trip or a bit longer if you explore a bit more or drive slowly for photography purposes. So maybe a bit of a long day but not unreasonable day if you're motivated. You'd also pass some great sights on the way like the Red Canyon as you climb up South Pass out of Lander and the areas around South Pass like Atlantic City and South Pass City. Could be a fun day if you don't mind the time in the car.

Spent a few days last week exploring the Red Desert in South central Wyoming. It's been quite a few years since I was last down there so I loaded up the van and spent a couple of days driving around, hiking and camping.

With over 9,000 square miles of high sagebrush desert ringed with mountains and encompassing sand dunes, deep gorges, hundreds of miles of dirt roads and many opportunities of primitive camping it's an easy place to explore and get lost in. Here's some images I captured on that trip:

The Red Desert is known for its herds of wild Mustangs, I saw plenty of droppings along the road but was on my second day when I came across this small herd.
View attachment 87440

Horned Larks were everywhere, many feeding on the dirt roads but most flying off as I approached. Was happy when this guy showed off his namesake horns and wasn't too concerned about my presence.
View attachment 87441

Also saw a lot of Pronghorn, most in a hurry to be somewhere else.
View attachment 87442

Was happy to come across this Mountain Bluebird.
View attachment 87445

Woke to this small herd of Elk cruising past my campground.
View attachment 87446

Came around a bend to find Sage Grouse on both sides of the road displaying. Have spent a lot of time researching and finding active grouse leks but this is the first time I just tripped across one and enjoyed the early morning show.
View attachment 87447

Mule Deer are pretty common around much of Wyoming and the desert was no exception.
View attachment 87448

View from my campsite on the first night...
View attachment 87449

All in all a fun trip and I won't wait so long to get back down that way. A good reminder that there's a lot more than the national parks in Wyoming and some of it has no crowds :)
Nice! But wait…no snakes?

Spent a few days last week exploring the Red Desert in South central Wyoming. It's been quite a few years since I was last down there so I loaded up the van and spent a couple of days driving around, hiking and camping.

With over 9,000 square miles of high sagebrush desert ringed with mountains and encompassing sand dunes, deep gorges, hundreds of miles of dirt roads and many opportunities of primitive camping it's an easy place to explore and get lost in. Here's some images I captured on that trip:

The Red Desert is known for its herds of wild Mustangs, I saw plenty of droppings along the road but was on my second day when I came across this small herd.
View attachment 87440

Horned Larks were everywhere, many feeding on the dirt roads but most flying off as I approached. Was happy when this guy showed off his namesake horns and wasn't too concerned about my presence.
View attachment 87441

View attachment 87442

View attachment 87445

View attachment 87446

Came around a bend to find Sage Grouse on both sides of the road displaying. Have spent a lot of time researching and finding active grouse leks but this is the first time I just tripped across one and enjoyed the early morning show.
View attachment 87447

Mule Deer are pretty common around much of Wyoming and the desert was no exception.
View attachment 87448

View attachment 87449

All in all a fun trip and I won't wait so long to get back down that way. A good reminder that there's a lot more than the national parks in Wyoming and some of it has no crowds :)
What a great series of photos. It must have been fun finding the sage grouse. There is lots of wonderful stuff in Wyoming and you have inspired me to return.

View attachment 87440

View attachment 87441

View attachment 87442

View attachment 87445

View attachment 87446

View attachment 87447

View attachment 87448

View attachment 87449

What a great series of photos. It must have been fun finding the sage grouse. There is lots of wonderful stuff in Wyoming and you have inspired me to return.

Back