Yardbirds - Working on Processing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Joaquin

Supporting Member
These were taken with the Nikon D7500 and 200-500 F5.6. I'm working on my lightroom technique, and I think I got pretty close on the crested titmouse here. It could be sharper but I only had about a half second to react there before he was gone. I think I the goldfinch looks a little over-processed, but what do y'all think?
Black-Crested Titmouse.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Black Crested Titmouse. 500mm. F5.6. 1/2500. iso280
Goldfinch Branch.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Goldfinch. 500mm. F5.6. 1/2500. ISO140

Looks like there was missed focus on the titmouse because 1/2500 is more than enough for a sharp photo. It was also too high up in the tree. Despite that, the processing looks pretty good. The Goldfinch was taken in bad light and no amount of post processing can make that look better. It's also too high so all you get is a bright blue sky with a mess of bright sticks in the background. You should try to take photos when they're at eye level in better light, such as bright overcast or overcast, or when the sun is low, around 10-20 degrees in the sky. Your photos will instantly become much better. Keep shooting!

Yep I think you're spot on. The titmouse was there for about 1 second and I swung on him and out of my burst that was the only picture he was there so I do't think I ever got a perfect focus lock on him. I think it might have been between the stick he's standing on and the eye when the shutter clicked there. You're dead on on the goldfinch too high sun clear afternoon. The titmouse was better just because it was in the shadows so that harsh light wasn't direct on him, just needed a better focus lock on him. More to work on! Thanks for the reply

Yep I think you're spot on. The titmouse was there for about 1 second and I swung on him and out of my burst that was the only picture he was there so I do't think I ever got a perfect focus lock on him. I think it might have been between the stick he's standing on and the eye when the shutter clicked there. You're dead on on the goldfinch too high sun clear afternoon. The titmouse was better just because it was in the shadows so that harsh light wasn't direct on him, just needed a better focus lock on him. More to work on! Thanks for the reply
You're welcome! Keep shooting! If you have feeders try placing some natural perches close by, preferably at eye level in front of a distant background. They'll tend to land on the perch first, then bounce to the feeder. While they're on the perch you'll get some great eye level looks instead of shooting up at them in the trees.

I don't want to be too nit-picky (although I guess that's what this forum is for!), but I agree with all the above comments, and also - all animal and bird pics look better when the subject is looking towards you, even a small amount - which the Titmouse isn't, and the Lesser Goldfinch sort of is. And the Titmouse has a big brach obscuring part of the bird, which detracts from the main subject. I know you only had half a second, and that's where the bird was, but it would be better if you could have got the shot without that branch.

I think I the goldfinch looks a little over-processed, but what do y'all think?
The Goldfinch is tough as it's heavily backlit with the bright sky background so I'm guessing you had to do quite a bit of shadow pulling to bring out details on the bird. Short of fill flash or other bounced light that's a tough situation to deal with.

Good advice above to set up good looking perches near feeders at heights and distances that set up a better shooting gallery with intentional background control.

Sometimes you have to shoot what is there. I like the titmouse. The goldfinch somehow has too much contrast. They present as pretty soft birds usually. Learn to shoot what you see and avoid fixing things in post when possible. Learning to make the camera do what you want pays much greater dividends that any amount of post processing ever will. Birds can be gone in the blink of an eye. We do it because it is quite challenging! Keep shooting . Great job! :)

I'd agree on the 2nd one. A bit 'crunchy' maybe too heavy on the sharpening or perhaps the local contrast sliders like texture/dehaze. You might try to reset it and maybe use the masking tool to work on different portions of the image rather than all global sliders.

I'd part crop part clone away the stick on the left. Maybe to a 5:4 ratio so the bird stays off center. I like the way the branches overlap in the background on the right.

Last edited:
Back