Yellow and red

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’ve been editing photos close to 25 years now and various programs over the years having said that, to this day, I still struggle with bright yellow and bright red. Doesn’t make any difference if the monitors calibrated or any of that stuff it just seems like it’s so difficult to get those two colors portrayed the way they look in real life. I’m wondering if other people struggle with those as much as I do? It’s usually during flower season this comes about a lot of times. I will edit a photo and come back in a little while and decide it needs tweaked. Those two colors can definitely cause a snafu at times with editing. I keep meaning to buy one of those little color checker charts to hold up next to the screen. I have heard other people in the past say that really helps them with colors they struggle with.

Reactions: JAS
I have seen some photographers recommending turning down Green and Orange by a small amount on each photo as they tend to get over-sampled in cameras. When I started experimenting with it I began to like it. It’s something to think about and it does impact some of that color area.

Since I photograph flowers often, this is an inevitable problem. I try a variety of approaches within LrC including selective adjustment of colors - lowering the luminance of the yellow and or red channels, or toning down hte whole photo and boosting other colors to separate them from the red and yellow. I find color masking and selective color adjustments help in most cases. There are, however, a few photos where I cannot figure it our. I also play with saturation, contrast, toning down the whole photo and selectively boosting the other colors. Whatever works.

Since I photograph flowers often, this is an inevitable problem. I try a variety of approaches within LrC including selective adjustment of colors - lowering the luminance of the yellow and or red channels, or toning down hte whole photo and boosting other colors to separate them from the red and yellow. I find color masking and selective color adjustments help in most cases. There are, however, a few photos where I cannot figure it our. I also play with saturation, contrast, toning down the whole photo and selectively boosting the other colors. Whatever works.
Yes, one of those problems that don’t seem to get easier with time or at least it don’t for me. I’ve started a process to where I will edit it then leave it for a while and then come back and look at it. In about 95% of the time, I will tweak it quite a bit then finally after 2 to 3 times, it will be acceptable to my eye, but it’s definitely something more of a science than a black-and-white solution

Back