Yellowstone Tour/Guide Recommendations Winter 2025

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

pomkiwi

Marketplace
Just after Steve published his Yellowstone map my son messaged me from Australia to ask had I thought about Yellowstone (not connected!). We have previously met each other from opposite sides of the world for successful photo trips in Alaska and South Africa and a Yellowstone trip sounds fun.
We are competent photographers looking to be placed in situations with good opportunities- we don’t need to be told what shutter speed to use or be informed when “bear up”.

I’ve looked at a few trips next winter, some from the ‘usual suspects’ are around $8k pp and others around half that price (mainly from local operators). I’d rather spend less than more if possible!

Although I know the best value option is to rent a 4wd vehicle and sort accommodation but given I have no local knowledge and we will be jet lagged (from opposite directions) I think that being looked after will be a sensible option.

if anyone can recommend any operators to contact I would be grateful - if anyone has any experiences that suggest operators to avoid maybe send a message.

Thanks in advance

I can't provide any information on operators but your 4wd vehicle comment caught my attention. The road from Gardiner, Montana to Cooke City, Montana through the northern part of Yellowstone and the Lamar Valley is open to auto travel all year long. They keep the road plowed in order to bus students. Access to the interior of the park is restricted to snowcoach or snowmobile only in the winter and I believe they limit access.

I can't provide any information on operators but your 4wd vehicle comment caught my attention. The road from Gardiner, Montana to Cooke City, Montana through the northern part of Yellowstone and the Lamar Valley is open to auto travel all year long. They keep the road plowed in order to bus students. Access to the interior of the park is restricted to snowcoach or snowmobile only in the winter and I believe they limit access.

The road is open but I would recommend having a 4WD anyway.

This is a re-emphasis of what Marty said, the interior of the park is highly restricted during winter (only people on snow coaches or snow mobiles). This can make a huge difference in price of the trips, whether they will have a snow coach that takes one into the interior. Personally I loved the interior and thought it is worth the extra cost. But that is a decision only you can make. For example, this year, a pack of wolves cornered a bison and only those on snow coaches could witness this event. It is also much less crowded in the interior in winter:

Just after Steve published his Yellowstone map my son messaged me from Australia to ask had I thought about Yellowstone (not connected!). We have previously met each other from opposite sides of the world for successful photo trips in Alaska and South Africa and a Yellowstone trip sounds fun.
We are competent photographers looking to be placed in situations with good opportunities- we don’t need to be told what shutter speed to use or be informed when “bear up”.

I’ve looked at a few trips next winter, some from the ‘usual suspects’ are around $8k pp and others around half that price (mainly from local operators). I’d rather spend less than more if possible!

Although I know the best value option is to rent a 4wd vehicle and sort accommodation but given I have no local knowledge and we will be jet lagged (from opposite directions) I think that being looked after will be a sensible option.

if anyone can recommend any operators to contact I would be grateful - if anyone has any experiences that suggest operators to avoid maybe send a message.

Thanks in advance
MacNeil Lyons with Yellowstone Insights (https://yellowstoneinsight.com/) is an outstanding naturalist, guide, and photographer who knows YNP well. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone better. A different possibility might be to take one (or more) of the wildlife photography field seminars offered by Yellowstone Forever (https://www.yellowstone.org/experience/field-seminars/). They're good, well run, and led by experienced wildlife photographers. You mentioned that you don't need photography instruction, but the "advanced" field seminars spend most of time shooting in the field, so you'd have plenty of opportunity without the responsibility of having to figure out locations, logistics, etc., especially in winter, which can be brutal in Yellowstone. YF also offers private guide service as well. Good luck!

Been doing a bit of reading on visiting Yellowstone in the winter and just have few questions. How far ahead would someone need to book the snow coaches if wanting to take one one or two days? Probably try and make it for 7-10 days as I would be driving from home (12-14 hr drive). Would have 4x4 truck, and would mostly be snowshoeing. Any areas just outside park to north that are good spots to look for wildlife? Would likely be staying in Gardiner. I usually shoot what I can find, not really picky on subjects.

Back