Young Dumb Seagull Diving into 6" of Water

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PAUL50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This series of photos was taken at Port Henry, NY, on Lake Champlain early November 2021. The bird dove into very shallow water (less than 6") and, while not catching anything, probably came up with a bruised beak. Please critique at will and spare no comment. I did use a small amount of exposure compensation to avoid blowing out the bird. Shot with a D5 and 500mm PF with a 1.4 TC. All shots taken at 1/1600 at f/8. The only thing I should add is that the actual photos are sharper on my computer in Lightroom than they appear here for some reason. Are there export settings I should change. I'm using the settings suggested by Steve. Thanks.

untitled shoot-20211110-NIKON D5-IMG-43176-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
untitled shoot-20211110-NIKON D5-IMG-43569-Edit.jpg

untitled shoot-20211110-NIKON D5-IMG-43560-Edit-Edit.jpg
untitled shoot-20211110-NIKON D5-IMG-43569-Edit.jpg

Agreed. No. 1 is as close to perfect as I could ever hope for. Just a little "breathing room" on the top of 2 & 4 would be my only changes. Excellent color and resolution, especially with that much white in the background.

IQ is solid with the exception of what appears to be some blown out whites. A lower angle would have definitely improved the set - but I'm well aware that isn't always possible. Nice images, and like the others said, #1 is the clear winner of the group.

This series of photos was taken at Port Henry, NY, on Lake Champlain early November 2021. The bird dove into very shallow water (less than 6") and, while not catching anything, probably came up with a bruised beak. Please critique at will and spare no comment. I did use a small amount of exposure compensation to avoid blowing out the bird. Shot with a D5 and 500mm PF with a 1.4 TC. All shots taken at 1/1600 at f/8. The only thing I should add is that the actual photos are sharper on my computer in Lightroom than they appear here for some reason. Are there export settings I should change. I'm using the settings suggested by Steve. Thanks.

View attachment 28340View attachment 28341
View attachment 28343View attachment 28341
Great captures, exposure, detail, etc. If you are usinf a 500mm with a TC 1.4 then the focal length would be 700mm (600x1.4=700)

Back