Your strategies for dealing with heat

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was doing an afternoon portrait shoot outside in 90 degree (33C) heat. I was starting to get a bit overheated with a high heart rate (having controlled high blood pressure contributes to that) and it took a while to get back to normal. So I was thinking what could have I done to help myself avoid some of that. I haven’t really seen many topics in forums or YouTube or the like on what photographers can do in these conditions.

So what do you all do to avoid the worst dangers like dehydration or heat stroke or over exertion or whatever? Especially since it can sneak up on you while your attention and focus is on what you’re doing.

1) Avoid afternoon photo shoots outdoors in high heat (seek other venues if possible).
2) Try to find shade, augment with fans or personal cooling devices.
3) Pre-hydrate and hydrate with balanced salt solutions.
4) Talk to your physician to see if there are alternative antihypertensives which won't make you as heat sensitive.

The timing of your question is perfect. I'm going to be photographing the PGA Tour Championship this week with temperatures expected to be in the mid 90's and sunny skies. I've photographed this event for a number of years, and it's always hot. The golfers - especially the caddies - have to deal with the heat on a regular basis. I'm walking 18,000-20,000+ steps on a typical day. This year the forecast is for highs of 94-96 degrees several days of the tournament.

Preparing for hot weather starts with clothing. I wear a wide brim Tilley hat - the widest brim they offer and a hat that breathes. If possible, I wear light colored, light weight, synthetic clothing. Performance or athletic wear shirts are great. I wear short pants - either cargo shorts or golf shorts - made with synthetic materials, but zip pants or similar full length pants are often available. I have a pair of long pants from REI that are very light weight. Some pro golfers are wearing thin sun-shirts. I want light weight so I never wear any kind of denim or heavy cotton or leather. I choose walking/hiking shoes that are light weight or may wear golf shoes. It's important that everything I wear dries very quickly and does not hold water - so no cotton or leather.

Right behind my clothing decisions are gear choices. While two cameras is helpful, I leave my backup camera and lenses in the trunk of my car in the parking lot. If I have a problem with my primary camera, I lose an hour of shooting time, but backup gear is available. Saving weight is part of my heat management strategy. I shoot handheld. I usually carry a Z camera body externally with one lens, and two additional lenses plus a flash in a ThinkTank Turnstyle 2.0 torso bag. My typical kit is a 24-70, 70-200, and either a 14-30 or 400mm f/4.5. I may carry a 1.4 TC. I carry two extra camera batteries and an extra set of flash batteries, Zeiss lens wipes, a bulb blower, plus business cards, phone, wallet, and keys. I don't carry anything else - no cables, extra cards, or even spare change. I might carry a power bank this year - we'll see. I decide each day on whether to carry the 24-70 f/4 or f/2.8. I'm taking a lot of portraits, so it depends on my assignments. I know what I am going to need to emphasize each day, and plan gear choices accordingly. The last day I need to shoot the awards ceremony and the winner on the 18th green, so I do carry two bodies but plan a little less walking.

I make sure to drink fluids throughout the day. I'll go through 6-8 16 ounce bottles in a typical day. I try to drink two bottle of water for every one bottle of sports drink (Powerade or Gatorade). The key hear is to hydrate early and often. If you get behind on fluid intake, it's very hard to catch up. Your urine output should remain steady. If it becomes a darker color, you're getting dehydrated.

Whenever possible I try to walk and stand in the shade. Ambient temperatures are 20 degrees cooler in shade, and it makes a big difference. I'm not indifferent - I'll seek shooting locations in the shade, wait in the shade, and walk on the shady side of the fairway.

Periodically you may want to sit down in the shade and That can be a break for lunch or simply sitting in the shade and waiting for action. If you ever feel flushed, tired, or light headed, sit down in a shady location and boost fluids. Heat exhaustion and heat stroke are dangerous, and can't be ignored. I've learned the hard way to watch for symptoms and over emphasize fluids.

Conditioning is important. It takes time and a good mental attitude to handle heat. If you are complaining about the heat - even to yourself - it somehow is worse. You can't change the heat, but you can change your attitude. If you believe you are handling the heat well, it won't adversely affect you or your photography as much.

If you have a choice in planning your day, start early with sunrise and early morning photography, then take a break during the middle of the day. My normal day at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm involves a sunrise shoot nearby, early entry into the park, shoot from 8:00 until 9:30 or 10:00 AM, then go to brunch or an early lunch. Midday is reserved for image processing and possibly a short nap. I return around 4:30 PM for an afternoon session that lasts until sunset or around 7:00 PM. My routine is not too different in Death Valley, Arches/Canyonlands, or on the southern coasts. All of these areas are sunny and hot. Midday is reserved for travel and scouting.

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was doing an afternoon portrait shoot outside in 90 degree (33C) heat. I was starting to get a bit overheated with a high heart rate (having controlled high blood pressure contributes to that) and it took a while to get back to normal. So I was thinking what could have I done to help myself avoid some of that. I haven’t really seen many topics in forums or YouTube or the like on what photographers can do in these conditions.

So what do you all do to avoid the worst dangers like dehydration or heat stroke or over exertion or whatever? Especially since it can sneak up on you while your attention and focus is on what you’re doing.

This March in Senegal it got up to 109 degrees Fahrenheit. I drank a lot of water. One time I forgot to carry my water for a 15 minute walk (ha, has a birder ever walked a quarter-mile in less than an hour if there are good birds) to find the Verreaux's Owls, and I was feeling a bit out of my body before I got my hands on my next bottle. But mostly I never, ever failed to bring water even if I thought it would be ridiculous to carry the weight for the length of a short walk. Sometimes I drank an entire bottle before I start walking. Those Owls were cuddled up tight on their nest in the deep shade so we did find them, but a lot of times you can arrange to be in the shade under a ceiling fan during the worst of the heat because birds like to stay cool too. Like Eric, I also had a Tilley hat but also mostly wore long sleeves & long pants to avoid literal burning.

Shade, drink water, don't be under direct sun (including wearing wide brimmed hats, I personally use a cheaper one instead of the 100$ good hats) all day, etc. Pretty much been covered. Drinking enough water can't be said enough though, that's what gets people, and is the most dangerous part, especially in more extreme heat.

Some good responses, too! I was wearing a floppy Tilley hat but I really did not realize the extent that certain medications make you sensitive to heat. I was fine for an hour or two but by the third hour not so much. I definitely will try to remember to drink more. I know as you age, too, that you become more susceptible to heat as well. I had shorts on and a very breathable shirt but the mosquitos took advantage of that ;) I have never been so peppered with bites before.

I am fortunate enough to live 120 miles of Phoenix in the mountains at just under 6,000 feet above MSL. So, I am about 20 to 25 degrees cooler than the Phoenix area. However, the sun is so intense as our air is so clear of haze or pollution most of the time (unless a wildfire is in the area) that direct sun here is really something to avoid for anything more than short periods. Dermatology here is a big business due to sun exposure here. Moreover, in the summer here there’s very little worthwhile photography opportunities so, I just stay indoors in the AC.

In the Okefenokee with potential for mosquitoes and yellow flies, I wear a treated long sleeve shirt, treated thin long pants, and carry socks, gloves, and mosquito netting. I want the ability to be completely covered. Oddly enough, the water has enough creatures that eat mosquitoes that it is only a problem in the woods. The guides won't go out at all for sunset when yellow flies are bad.

+1 on H2O and sports drinks. If you find yourself feeling kind of dopey during exertion in the heat, or worse, cramps and even waking up with cramps at night, then you may be behind on electrolytes. I make my own based on a recipe found on the World Health Organization website (cost effective) and travel with these which are the same stuff: https://www.amazon.com/TRIORAL-Rehydration-Electrolyte-Powder-Dehydration/dp/B0BRT9TRFT. If you get them, be sure to follow directions and mix the packets with one liter of water. Side note: a packet of electrolytes and a liter of water after a long travel day, and I recover a lot faster too! Standard in my field kit. Good info too on the NOLS website for recognizing and preventing heat illness: https://blog.nols.edu/2015/08/11/preventing-and-treating-heat-illness

Umbrellas work great in the sun too. There are some pretty compact ones designed just for sun shade for backpacking that work great and can keep the glare down on screens. They can be attached to backpack straps for hands free use.

Back