Your techniques for shooting fall leaf colors

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

bleirer

Bill, Cleveland OH.
Supporting Member
Marketplace
From a 'back to basics' point of view as well as the most advanced what is important technique wise for shooting fall colors? For example the old timers used to say to underexpose, but I don't think that applies anymore except to avoid blowing out a color channel.

I do use a polarizer to cut leaf glare and help colors pop. Also helps with a deeper blue sky which is a nice contrast to the leaves (Although beware of very wide angles as you will get gradients of blue in the sky). Polarizers help even if not much sky is visible because reflections off leaves are polarized and cutting off those reflections cleans things up nicely.
‘In post, I like to shift WB a bit warm, especially if I can’t be there at sunset and I want to add some of that ambiance.

From a 'back to basics' point of view as well as the most advanced what is important technique wise for shooting fall colors? For example the old timers used to say to underexpose, but I don't think that applies anymore except to avoid blowing out a color channel.
Fall colors are among my favorite subjects, everything from wide angle panos to detailed, isolated scenics. Water also is a nice compliment to capturing the season, and oftentimes in upstate NY you can find some great fall farm scenes as well. Early and late in the day are my favorite times to shoot - early because I often find mist or fog rising from the fields, and late because the evening sun casts some really nice shadows.

In terms of technique, I suppose that it all depends upon the situation. For panos, a good, level tripod is essential (at least for me), and I prefer to use either my 24-70 f2.8, or my 16-35 f4, along with a good polarizer to reduce glare and get good saturation. For isolated scenics (e.g. colorful leaves in water, or birch trunks against a background of reds, yellows, and oranges), typically I’ll use my 70-200 f2.8, again with a polarizer. Water scenes call for either the 16-35 or 24-70, along with either or both polarizer and ND filters.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Last edited:
First hour of daylight and long exposures with small apetures and native ISO. In the past it was better with my DSLR to overexpose than to underexpose but I have not tested this with the Z9 and I would need to do so.

One thing I will say is composition is king. Technique wise I have not much of anything to add. Prior posts have covered it and as always, Steve’s article is a treasure trove of good stuff.

As for composition don’t overlook the intimate landscapes. Colorful leaves on moss covered rocks. Single branches with the colorful landscape out of focus on the background. The “feminine S curve” of a stream with colorful branches overhead of the water. Everyone seems to concentrate on the grand vistas but the intimate landscapes can be magical in fall color prime.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Excellent advice as always!

What is your thought on polarizers with a wide angle angle lens?
As long as there's no sky (or very little clear sky) in the photo, go for it. Where you get in trouble is uneven polarization that happens with large expanses of blue. For teresstial subjects, it's not noticeable and I used a polarizer all the time with my 14-24.

+1 on a polarizer as long as sky isn't in the photo.

FWIW, my big thing with fall color photography is picking my day, especially in terms of light. Sure that applies to most photography but I get excited about fall foliage photography on overcast (often rainy, foggy or just after rain) days or when I'm lucky enough to find the scene has some interesting selective backlighting that lights up those colorful leaves. The latter really applies to the Aspens and Cottonwoods that we have around here that light up when backlit and if that's a backlighting that leaves the deeper background dark (what I think of as selective backlighting) all the better.

A polarizing filter will enrich fall colours.
I just wish we had fall colours here...🦘

One thing I will say is composition is king.
I agree with this sentiment. Perhaps more than most photography, fall foliage requires thinking outside the box to avoid the insurance company calendar look. Here's a couple of shots I took a couple years ago that I still like:

RobertsMeadowDamSmall.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

RobertsMeadowReservoirSmall.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Back