Your thoughts on Tern image

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rookie Roy

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Does this image work for you? I know back shots are iffy. Can the shadows be removed in Lightroom? Would you remove them?
63F10A45-289A-498A-BEFD-92EA83A18E18.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I think it works in general because it tells a little bit of a story of where the subject is, what it just did, and where it is going. I like how the negative space makes a bit of an hourglass shape and I would maybe emphasize that by cropping the top to maybe square and squeezing the sides a bit to hit the viewer over the head with the hourglass.

On my screen a couple brights have no detail, so maybe that could be recovered with a mask and the whites slider. I don't think I would do anything to the shadow.

I've never tried to remove an object in Lightroom because you have Photoshop a click away. It probably can be done but PS is far better. From Lightroom right click to choose edit in Photoshop as smart object. Add a blank layer from the buttons below the layer panel. Click in the blank layer then choose Edit/content aware fill. Make sure "all layers" is clicked when you get the fill dialog.

Thank you Bill for taking the time to help me!
Anytime. If you haven't tried Photoshop yet, you can do a lot just by adding adjustment layers using the button below the layer panel. They pass through to the image below so you can use as many as you wish. Brightness/contrast for just one example only brightens areas that need brightening, while exposure raises everything. Then each adjustment layer has a mask you can use to limit the effect to only one part of the picture.

I think in this particular case the focus would have been better on the fish than on the birds eye.
Good point! Probably better yet would be to close the aperture some to keep both in focus. The shot was spontaneous, however, and no time to change the aperture. It always seems that if I set up for stills I get good action opportunities and when I set up for action I have still opportunities.

Back