Z 1.8 primes creaky AF-C noises normal?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just got my first Z 1.8 primes, the 50 and 85. Wicked sharp, lovely build quality, but I figured their autofocus would be quieter with the STM motors. The electronic sounding wirring doesn't bother me as it focuses, but in AF-C, they emit a creaky, clunky clattering sound as the focus continously adjusts (even on still targets with minimal if not no movement from me) and I just want to be assured that that's within spec for these lenses. My AF-S motor lenses adapted were way louder and clunky during AF-C , but just thought the new STM motors would be smoother I guess. Camera is Z6 II.

Kind of a crap video, but this is a recording of the 85 just aiming it at a wall to get the autofocus to grip and adjust like so to emit the noise I'm talking about, you hear it mostly right at the beginning and then at the end.

Thank you!

As best as I can tell from the video, what you are hearing sounds the same as all my Z 1.8 lenses (20/35/50/85) and the 105 MC when in AF-C sound. There is the smooth whir of the initial focus but then that soft, asynchronous adjusting sound that is not a lot louder than some of the "whir" but present.

Back