Z 180-600 Teleconverter Test

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MrFotoFool

Supporting Member
Marketplace
BACKGROUND

I started in Nikon Z system with a Z8 and Z 70-200 f2.8. Soon after got a used Z 2x to get to 400mm (a setup that works well). Eventually got Z 180-600 f5.6-6.3. Recently purchased used Z 1.4x to get closer to distant coyote pups with the longer lens.

Photos and results follow, but if you don’t want to read through, here is conclusion. Z 180-600 on its own is stellar, even at 600mm. Z 180-600 with 2x is too soft to be worthwhile (not to mention the small aperture with two stop light loss). Z 180-600 with 1.4x is very good and just slightly better than cropping bare 600 to same size (assuming you can deal with one stop light loss).

FIRST SIGHTING OF PUPS

As usual, I was shooting bare 180-600 when I discovered a distant litter of coyote pups at a small Arizona preserve. From within the preserve there is a gate that prevents closer access, so cropping is all I could do. Results in decent environmental shot by cropping to an acceptable degree and post processing.

first sighting.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

SECOND SIGHTING WITH 2X

I return next afternoon with 2x attached (and tripod), though I have doubts. As suspected, images are soft and most get deleted. Only a couple are worth keeping after heavy processing, but even then they are not great. Small aperture is also a problem.

second sighting.jpg

THIRD and FOURTH SIGHTINGS WITH 1.4X

I purchase a used 1.4x and try it out on two successive afternoons. This seems to be a good compromise: sharper (but just barely) than cropping bare lens to same size once post processing is applied. One stop light loss is not ideal, but I am comfortable using this setup when needed. (Heat haze is sometimes an issue though).

third fourth sighting.jpg

FIFTH thru NINTH SIGHTINGS

Main reserve does not allow closer access, but there is a bike path just behind den that is quite close. In one morning and several afternoons (after work) I go there to get closer with bare lens. Pups are often hiding and thick brush is a challenge to shoot through, but when it works it is great. This proves what we already know: there is no substitute for getting close enough to fill the frame. I have the lens at its sharpest, I have no light loss from teleconverter, I have no atmospheric distortion. On ninth night pups are starting to explore bike path and when I check two different nights following they are gone and entire family has moved out of den site.

fifth thru ninth sighting.jpg

CONTROLLED TEST

I go to arroyo behind my condo with tripod to do controlled tests which confirm my findings. These are shot far away and cropped to near pixel level. 1.4x at a distance is just slightly sharper (or a tie?) than cropping bare lens to same amount of enlargement while 2x is a bit too soft. Conclusion: Z 2x is excellent with my Z 70-200 f2.8 and also worked well on the one test I did with a rented Z 400 f4.5 lens. Obviously Z 1.4x is stellar with both of these lenses. It is also decent with Z 180-600 if you can live with small maximum aperture.

cholla test.jpg

Back