Z 400 f4.5 lens hood - Solved!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Sounds like it might b a tolerance issue…you might try spraying a little silicon spray on there and letting it dry…make sure to mask the rest of the inside of the hood through and do the spraying on the hood and not the lens. Regular dry lube tends to be graphite based so I would not use that but silicon dry lube dries and leaves a fixed but slippery coating.
The hood seems to be too loose......not too tight.

The skin just lays on the outside of the hood. No obvious pressure resulting from the skin.

As I put the hood on the lens, I feel it drop into the slot. Holding it by the top rubber area seems awkward to me. So I hold it with both hands and slowly turn it, but the pins never catch and the hood just continues to turn.....passed where it should lock.

I've had a lot of lenses over the years, and this is the first one that has had a problem with the hood. Thankfully the 100-400 and 600mm TC are fine - although I do use a Zemlin hood on the 600mm TC!
If the hood is sitting properly in it's grooves, there are hard stops to stop it turning past the locking point. Sounds like it is not in its grooves or something is missing or broken off. 🙁

If the hood is sitting properly in it's grooves, there are hard stops to stop it turning past the locking point. Sounds like it is not in its grooves or something is missing or broken off. 🙁
It is in the grooves but the hard stop is not working and the hood will turn past the hard stop.

As I said, the hood drops down into the grooves and then turns - but it is loose and there is no hard stop. It is like the hood is a wee bit too big in diameter. The pins and stop work properly when engaging the release button.. Nothing appears broken. There is just enough play for the hood to fall off.

It is in the grooves but the hard stop is not working and the hood will turn past the hard stop.

As I said, the hood drops down into the grooves and then turns - but it is loose and there is no hard stop. It is like the hood is a wee bit too big in diameter. The pins and stop work properly when engaging the release button.. Nothing appears broken. There is just enough play for the hood to fall off.
Hmm, the hood is branded HB-105?

The part that stops the hood when putting it on isnt the latch. check the lens to make sure this area is intact in both places.

20230606_155314.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Is Nikon or your dealer willing to exchange the hood? I know you're covered with the Zemlin but Nikon owes you a hood that fits properly....:mad:
I just bought the lens a couple of months ago. AND we are getting ready for a trip. Once I return, I will contact Nikon. I'm sure they will want both the hood and the lens returned....

The part that stops the hood when putting it on isnt the latch. check the lens to make sure this area is intact in both places.

View attachment 62807
Thanks, Wes. Nothing is amiss on the lens. BUT - I decided to reposition the skin strip that goes right below that slot . I lowered it about 1/32" or less. NOW the hood seems to lock much better.

Back