Z 400mm 2.8 Most Recent Deliveries

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I haven't heard of the 400 or 600 being delivered recently but today a buddy told me he got his 800pf last week so they are shipping. Not that it helps you. 😢

I will add the 400TC is worth the wait! Hope it's sooner for you rather than later.

Interesting essay. The time constraints appear to be impossible to overcome for Nikon without comprising quality

"... large, specialized lens elements—is considerably constrained and difficult to ramp up. My understanding is that Nikon has only one large element PF polishing machine in operation, and that the really large fluorite elements also have a supply limitation. Top end glass in general has a year-long gestation from pour to final polish, and not all pours net the huge sections of glass needed for the big elements as easily as they do for smaller ones. Someone once told me that element size was almost an exponential constriction in supply. Add in (2) hand assembly and alignment to insure highest quality, and you have a very non-modern, tough-to-scale manufacturing problem on your hands."

Interesting essay. The time constraints appear to be impossible to overcome for Nikon without comprising quality

"... large, specialized lens elements—is considerably constrained and difficult to ramp up. My understanding is that Nikon has only one large element PF polishing machine in operation, and that the really large fluorite elements also have a supply limitation. Top end glass in general has a year-long gestation from pour to final polish, and not all pours net the huge sections of glass needed for the big elements as easily as they do for smaller ones. Someone once told me that element size was almost an exponential constriction in supply. Add in (2) hand assembly and alignment to insure highest quality, and you have a very non-modern, tough-to-scale manufacturing problem on your hands."
Artisan lens

I really think Thom needs to stop saying he can push a button for FX/DX and get a XXX f/XX lens when he doesn't multiply the aperture by the crop factor.

Really disingenuous when he is telling people you can buy a 400/4.5 and you will have an 840 f/6.3 just like the 800PF. That is not correct. You will have an 840 f/9.45. You aren't getting an 800PF on the cheap by purchasing a 400/4.5, 1.4TC and pushing a button on your camera.

Back