Z 50mm chromatic aberration

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I just purchased Nikon 50mm 1.8 and of course I'm delighted at the sharpness of the lens. However, I noticed, in test shooting around my house, chromatic aberration at f/ 1.8. All my other lenses are f 4.0 and have not noticed any CA so I have no way to compare. Reviews of the 50mm lens mentioned very little CA. I was wondering if my lens is within guidelines or there is a flaw in the lens. I am attaching a crop of the image taken with my Z7ii showing the CA along the edge of the forks. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• fork_CROP  3380.jpg
    fork_CROP 3380.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 54
Fast primes can show CA under the right lighting conditions when shot at wide apertures. I have an 85/1.8 D-series F-mount Nikon lens that had a habit of showing CA under contrasting lighting and scene conditions when shot wide open. The lens was fine, and the CA was not unexpected. If your lens is otherwise fine and does not exhibit CA all of the time, then it may have just been that one scene that you shot. If in doubt and you bought the lens locally, go back to the store and shoot their display for comparison. This lens is not known for lots of CA, but no lens is 100% immune.

Good luck,

--Ken

Which part of that image has the CA? I find it hard to tell it from the reflection of the color of the counter.

+1 if you can run a comparison with another copy of the same lens model, you need a base reference to make any decisions... Those are conditions I'd expect even good lenses to sometimes have issues -- edges around high brightness areas.

Back