Z 800mm f/6.3 lens foot question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My lens came today. But when when attempting to mount an ARCA-Swiss plate, to the lens foot, I discovered the two threaded holes for mounting a plate are different sizes. One is ⅜" and the other is ¼"-20. Should they both be ¼"-20? Thanks for your help!

My lens came today. But when when attempting to mount an ARCA-Swiss plate, to the lens foot, I discovered the two threaded holes for mounting a plate are different sizes. One is ⅜" and the other is ¼"-20. Should they both be ¼"-20? Thanks for your help!
It's very easy to convert the 3/8" hole to a 1/4" threaded hole with an adapter like this:
Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 12.09.54 PM.png

These can be found in any camera shop or online from places like Amazon or ebay and are very inexpensive. One of these, perhaps with a drop of blue Locktite (not red or the adapter will be mounted there permanently) is an easy way to convert the mounting hole.

It's very easy to convert the 3/8" hole to a 1/4" threaded hole with an adapter like this:
View attachment 59867

These can be found in any camera shop or online from places like Amazon or ebay and are very inexpensive. One of these, perhaps with a drop of blue Locktite (not red or the adapter will be mounted there permanently) is an easy way to convert the mounting hole.
Thank you, Dave!

Several Nikon lenses including the 180–400 have the same two size screw fitting.

Try searching Amazon for a Mantona AS – 100 - 2M.

It has two screws, one for each thread size, and a modest amount of travel to help balance on a Gimbal.
There are other options which appear to have the 3/8 screw permanently fixed at one end, making it challenging to balance the rig on a gimbal or tripod head.

The long plate that comes with a Gitzo GHFG1 gimbal is both better and worse.
At 5.5 inches long it has plenty of travel.
The machining of the two screws would probably be unacceptable to the cheapest Chinese knockoff shop and the 3/8 screw fitting is by inserting a half inch screw and then screwing andouter 3/8 adaptor in place – hardly the best security for an expensive lens.
The rubbers on the QR plate that provide friction between the plate and the tripod mount can easily be lifted with a fingernail.

The Gitzo literature with Gitzo products proclaims the companies aim is to "design and produce the best possible camera accessories and supports using the simplest, most straightforward and most elegant solutions --- however long and complex the path to get there".
Whoever designed this plate was not listening :mad:
The friction adjustments on the Gitzo gimbal are not much better - at just about adequate.
My other Gitzo products are excellent quality - as as one should expect at the price point.

Back