Z Cameras capable of double back button auto focus?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello folks,

I'm attempting to come to an understanding of what Nikon Z cameras are capable of double back button auto focus. I want to be able to set AF-ON to either a wide area AF mode or Single Point, and another back button to the other mode. I know this is a feature of the Z9, will be of the Z8, and was doable on the D500, D850, and others. Can this be done on the Z6/Z6ii/Z7/Z7ii?

I've got a Z6 that to my knowledge can only be set up to activate the currently selected AF mode.

Thanks!

Don’t know for sure…but Steve and others have said the Z8 is a mini Z9 and that the menus look the same…so with a reasonable level of confidence I would say the Z8 will do dual BBAF. Ehhh…never mind, missed the actual question🥲🥲. Not on Z7II either so the Z7 as well. .

Last edited:
Hello folks,

I'm attempting to come to an understanding of what Nikon Z cameras are capable of double back button auto focus. I want to be able to set AF-ON to either a wide area AF mode or Single Point, and another back button to the other mode. I know this is a feature of the Z9, will be of the Z8, and was doable on the D500, D850, and others. Can this be done on the Z6/Z6ii/Z7/Z7ii?

I've got a Z6 that to my knowledge can only be set up to activate the currently selected AF mode.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, this setup is the stasis of the Z7 and Z6 continues to be maintained by the Nikon nanny
More in this thread (link fixed)

Last edited:
Hello folks,

Thanks!
Ben - I suggest you down load the customer control list for the Z9 from Nikon's Download centre and you will see what can be assigned to which button -- but to save you time here is a relevant extract

Now it is up to you BUT give the Z9 has 3 FN buttons on the front of the camera and the Z8 2 most folk assign alternative AF-modes + AF-ON to these and this work great. Leaving the display button in its dislacy role. The great thing is these cameras are highly customisable and we each need to work out and then build muscle memory with what works for us.

Look at the endries for the DISP button in the 8th column across the top then the 6th role down the left side.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 20.11.57.png

Back