Z foot mount issues

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have always been slightly puzzled by the problems that some report in relation to the foot release button on the Nikon long Z lenses.

For me it has always operated as a safety device, not a quick release button. In the light of recent discussions here I tested this on my 400/4.5 and my 600 PF, and indeed it worked as a security device. If the knob was properly tightened, pressing the button would not release the foot. If the knob was loosened, the foot would not come off unless the button was pressed.

But when I tested it on the 70-200/2.8, the button had no effect. If the knob was tightened, the foot would not release. If the knob was loosened, the foot would come off without my needing to press the button.

I investigated further and discovered that although the feet for the 70-200, the 100-400, the 400/4.5 and the 600 PF will fit each of these lenses, that for the 70-200 is slightly different from the others.

The first photo below shows that the button slot on the 70-200 is a different size and shape from that on the 400/4.5 (the 100-400 and the 600 PF are the same as the 400/4.5). They are also in different positions in relation to the screw mount.

The second shows that the profile of the prong on the 70-200 (left) is different from that on the 400/4.5 (and on the other two long lenses).

Foot mounts.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Prongs.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

When I used the correct foot on the 70-200, the locking button worked correctly and provided the extra layer of security which I expected. My problem with the non functioning locking button was caused by the use of the wrong foot.

The native foot of the 400/4.5 will fit the groove on the 70-200, but the button will not provide any lock at all. The 70-200 foot will provide a lock on the other three lenses.

So it seems that the Nikon foot is more secure than a removable foot which has no button - but only if the correct foot is used.

Good discovery and thanks for sharing. I use a Kirk replacement foot for my Z 70-200 and it seems to work fine. However, I do not have any of these other lenses to test it on. (My only other telephoto is the Z 180-600 which has a removable collar, not a removable foot).

I had my Kirk replacement foot on the Z400mm f4.5 spontaneously fail. The foot completely separated from the lens while It was being carried on a Holdfast strap. I had no warning that anything was loose. I was fortunate this happened on soft grass and there was no damage.

In reviewing everything I think the foot mounting system on these lenses (the one that has the knob and safety button) is too risky for my taste.

The Kirk button in particular stands out making it easy to inadvertently press the release button while carrying the lens by the foot.

When I am carrying the lens on a strap I tend to walk with my hand on the lens foot as added security should the strap separate. It is possible with the Kirk foot that I could have inadvertently pressed the release button.

In looking over all options I now think this system is too risky,

Some companies (Wimberly, Hejnar) make replacement feet that bolt directly into the lens using an Allen bolt. With this system the foot will not come off unless the bolt is completely loosened and completely detached from the lens. The foot has to move sideways to come off hte lens and the presence of the bolt in the mounting hole, even if it is loose, prevents the foot from moving sideways. You can also secure the bolt against inadvertent failure by using blue loctite.

I have two lenses this applies to, the 70-200mm f2.8 and the 400mm f4.5. I have replaced the feet on both of those lenses with the Hejnar.

I recommend that if you use the Kirk foot in particular that you check frequently to make sure the knob is tight and your hand stays away from the safety button. It would also be wise to use a safety strap,

This thread has already had off topic posts moved (?by the mods?). Please can we stick to the topic, which is the different types of apparently similar feet on Z tele lenses.

This thread has already had off topic posts moved (?by the mods?). Please can we stick to the topic, which is the different types of apparently similar feet on Z tele lenses.
My early to be introduced 70-200 Z is marked made in Thailand - and perhaps has a unique foot variation, as does yours.

My 100-400 made in Japan and 400 f4.5 and 600 f6.3 each made in China have your second type of foot.

Speculation on my part – delivery of the 70–200 was delayed by around six months during Covid.
It is possible that later lenses have a modified slightly different second type of foot.

My early to be introduced 70-200 Z is marked made in Thailand - and perhaps has a unique foot variation, as does yours.

My 100-400 made in Japan and 400 f4.5 and 600 f6.3 each made in China have your second type of foot.

Speculation on my part – delivery of the 70–200 was delayed by around six months during Covid.
It is possible that later lenses have a modified slightly different second type of foot.
Mine was purchased in April 2021. It would be interesting if someone with a recent purchase could check to see if Nikon has updated the design.

Back