Z Lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Folks,

Ive traded my D850 & D810 & all the lens as well , but I looking for a lens to replace my 200 - 500 for wildlife & landscape.

Ive been reading up about Nikon Z 100-400mm VR & the 180 - 600 but cant make up my mind. Any advice would be appreciated.

I had a tele conv mk3 which Ive also traded, is it worth purchasing a Z mount version

Thanks

Hi Folks,

Ive traded my D850 & D810 & all the lens as well , but I looking for a lens to replace my 200 - 500 for wildlife & landscape.

Ive been reading up about Nikon Z 100-400mm VR & the 180 - 600 but cant make up my mind. Any advice would be appreciated.

I had a tele conv mk3 which Ive also traded, is it worth purchasing a Z mount version

Thanks
I think it comes down to what you shoot, how much weight and bulk you can deal with and of course price tag.

If your main subjects are smaller like birds in the wild then the extra focal length of the 180-600mm is hard to beat. You can get close by slapping a 1.4x TC to a 400mm lens but you still get more focal length for smaller or more distant subjects with the 180-600mm. If light weight and a compact lens is a prime driver then the 100-400mm is hard to beat for the price and its close focusing is fantastic for closeups of subjects like amphibians, reptiles, butterflies and the like.

The Z mount TCs are reportedly very good but personally I tend to avoid TCs with zoom lenses and only use them with fixed focal length lenses though I heard decent reports of the Z 1.4x with the 100-400mm.

The Z mount TCs are reportedly very good but personally I tend to avoid TCs with zoom lenses and only use them with fixed focal length lenses though I heard decent reports of the Z 1.4x with the 100-400mm.
I can recommend the Z 1.4TC with the 100-400 and 180-600 lenses. There is some loss of acuity and 1 stop loss of max aperture but I’ve found my images to be acceptable unless I was in very low light conditions.

Back