Z setup question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi!
This is my first post here. I have decided to give in and jump on the mirrorless bandwagon. I am looking at a Z8 and a 600PF (I currently use a D850 with the 500PF). I have a question about the setup- would it be possible to map the control (function?) ring on the 600PF to change aperture and thereafter use the front dial on the Z8 body to change ISO/Exp Comp while in Manual mode?
Basically can the front dial be reassigned to change ISO/Exp Comp?
My requirement is simple- I want a much quicker way to change ISO/Exp comp without a button+dial press. (I am aware of the "hold and release" + turn dial option, but I am not a fan)
Also not too keen on using ISO/Exp Comp on the lens control ring. I tried this setup on a friend's Z8+800PF, and it is not very comfortable to use.
I use Manual + Auto ISO extensively, but if this setup is possible, I would change to full manual in an instant.

Thanks in advance
Sharang

Last edited:
No, there's some programming flexibility like swapping the roles of the front and rear command dials but they can't be programmed to a wide variety of tasks and the front dial can't be programmed to control ISO nor exposure compensation.

There is the Easy Exposure Compensation option where a command dial will control exposure comp but that's not supported when shooting in manual mode. Basically, easy exposure comp is only supported in modes where one of the command dials would otherwise be unused and in M mode both command dials are already in use.

Hi!
This is my first post here. I have decided to give in and jump on the mirrorless bandwagon. I am looking at a Z8 and a 600PF (I currently use a D850 with the 500PF). I have a question about the setup- would it be possible to map the control (function?) ring on the 600PF to change aperture and thereafter use the front dial on the Z8 body to change ISO/Exp Comp while in Manual mode?
My requirement is simple- I want a much quicker way to change ISO/Exp comp without a button+dial press. (I am aware of the "hold and release" + change dial option, but I am not a fan)
Also not too keen on using ISO/Exp Comp on the lens control ring. I tried this setup on a friend's Z8+800PF, and it is not very comfortable to use.
I use Manual + Auto ISO extensively, but if this setup is possible, I would change to full manual in an instant.

Thanks in advance
Sharang
Why dont you just do it the other way around? Leave aperture where it is and program the control ring for x-comp or ISO

Hi!
My requirement is simple- I want a much quicker way to change ISO/Exp comp without a button+dial press. (I am aware of the "hold and release" + change dial option, but I am not a fan)

Thanks in advance
Sharang
I had and now have the same setup you are talking about. If you go to the Nikon website and click on the mirrorless cameras and then go to manuals you will find all of the answers about setting up the camera. That is your best bet to see if the combo will do what you want.

Why dont you just do it the other way around? Leave aperture where it is and program the control ring for x-comp or ISO
Like I mentioned, it just wasn't comfortable to use. Kept bumping the ring unknowingly, multiple times. But hey, looks like I might not have a choice in the matter!
I'm sure I could make it work with further use and practice if I really have to.
But it would be great if Nikon allows reprogramming of the dials for this particular use, in the future.

I had and now have the same setup you are talking about. If you go to the Nikon website and click on the mirrorless cameras and then go to manuals you will find all of the answers about setting up the camera. That is your best bet to see if the combo will do what you want.
I have the holy grail of all manuals- Steve's eBooks. All of them :)

Like I mentioned, it just wasn't comfortable to use. Kept bumping the ring unknowingly, multiple times. But hey, looks like I might not have a choice in the matter!
I'm sure I could make it work with further use and practice if I really have to.
But it would be great if Nikon allows reprogramming of the dials for this particular use, in the future.
I have turned off the setting for control rings. I inadvertently bump them and change whatever they were set to control.

Back