Z6ii - First Impressions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Mea culpa!!

Regarding the PDF manual that is. When I fist put it onto my iPad I went to the index and tapped the page number that I wanted. Nothing happened with a few prods on different page numbers, and as the page number was not displayed in blue or underlined as in other hyperlinked text in other books I have, I thought that there was no link in place.

I WAS WRONG

Now tapping the page numbers does indeed take me to the relevent page. Why it did not work in the first place I do not know, but looking back, I've not had the best luck with this camera. Maybe I've not been good enough along the way and this is my punishment.

New Camera Adjustment Syndrome?
Plus
Moving To Mirrorless Cultural Shock?

I remember them both. It’s a steepish learning curve. All those assumptions I had kept being challenged, by them both but it was worth it.

New Camera Adjustment Syndrome?
Plus
Moving To Mirrorless Cultural Shock?

I remember them both. It’s a steepish learning curve. All those assumptions I had kept being challenged, by them both but it was worth it.

I don't think so.

Never had any issues going from Nikon D70s>D300>D700>D810>D850. Every one was a seamless transition. My difficulty with the Z6ii was the lack of a paper manual for quick reference. Now realising that the PDF manual does work as I thought it ought to, but for some reason it would not go to a page from the index when I first downloaded it. Plus the pages have two numbers! It also did not have the search facility on the index page and now I know it is on any non-index page, but I did not know then! Had the manual worked as it works now my ride would have been a lot quicker and less frustrating.

Been shooting mirrorless for over 4 years now. Fuji XT-1>XT-2>XT-4 now 2 Fuji XT-4s plus Sony a7ii - no issues at all with any of them.

In fact I think it is my experience with Fujis especially where almost all of the buttons and the touch screen in 4 directions can have custom functions set and the equivalent to the i menu has 16 slots and the aged Sony manual focus tools and the way they work is better than the Z6ii as are the Fuji manual focus tools. With the Z6ii I'm having to find work-arounds and compromises.

Last edited:
Well I have been there.
It was challenging and eventually it became fun. The process of learning the Z6ii was worthwhile. It made the process of understanding the Z9 easier, even though they are very different.
I have never used Fuji cameras. If I had the funds I would like to.
I have also adjusted to the pdf manuals in Books. I miss the paper manuals, but not that much. The convenience of always having access on-line has definite advantages. The supplementary firmware updates explanations are sometimes obtuse in their wording, which is annoying. Sometimes you can read a sentence and the meaning appears to be lost in translation. (e.g. The linear focus mode update for some Z lenses.)

Tired of waiting for a Z8 and at this time couldn't quite stretch to a Z7ii. After doing some research and a lot of soul searching, I sold my D850 and ordered a Z6ii in mid June and it was delivered on Friday.

Now I know that first impressions of anything new can be skewed by not understanding quite how things work or not being used to something, and after a bit of time things can be quite different to how you first find them, but nevertheless, here goes.

I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment. First the "manual" is useless. Worst I've seen after buying 6 new Nikon cameras over the years. Looking at the Nikon download centre there is a proper manual that I've put into my cloud so I can read it on a tablet. Unfortunately, unlike the manuals you could put in the Nikon Manuals app, the index pages don't have a hyperlink to the page, you have to scroll through. So much slower that flicking through a paper manual. Fortunately, during the wait for delivery of the camera I invested in Steve's book "Secrets to the Nikon Autofocus System - mirrorless Edition" so I had some idea of what the various AF modes do/are for and a plan to negate the very poor AF system design where focus area and tracking have to be selected from different places. Most people use the FN 1 and 2 custom buttons between the lens and the grip, one for focus area and the other for tracking thus enabling a quick(er) way to get to what you want.

Except that I can't do that easily. I have small hands and my fingers cannot reach the buttons without me changing my grip and then I reach the buttons, but can't easily turn the command dial! I'm really hoping that this will be one of the "getting used to something new" I mentioned earlier.

I've been spoilt over some years of shooting Fuji with the viewfinder display being completely customisable with user selections of everything that the screen can display. Not the several pre-set ones on the Z6ii that does not enable the EVF histogram in any other view. So few buttons are customisable compared to the Fuji and those that are - and the i menu - can't be set to the functions that I want.

Manual focus is something I do a lot with a collection of over 20 vintage lenses. The zoom buttons are awkward to use. I can feel them with my right thumb, but have to release my grip on the camera so I can press the shutter. If I use my left thumb I have to release my grip on the lens so then I can't focus! The Fuji and Sony a7ii both have much better ways of zooming in for focusing.

My Fujis allow me to name my non CPU lenses, but I only get 6. 12 if you count my other XT-4.

On the positive side, my spare batteries from my D850 work in the Z6ii and I now have 20 non CPU lenses in the memory. Just have to remember which one is which as I have several duplicate focal lengths and apertures.

One thing that I can't nail down yet is that having the FN2 button assigned to Focus mode / AF-area mode (and also having AF-area mode in the i menu too), sometimes when I press the FN button and turn the dial I can only select AF-S, AF-C or MF. No AF areas show at all. Trying the i menu the icon is greyed out. Other times it works as it should with both the i menu and FN2 + dial. This is in aperture priority mode. Switching off and on again makes no difference.

I also find it difficult to get out of subject tracking, The minus magnifying glass does not do it - in spite of that button showing exit and in this scenario the focus modes on the FN2 button only give MF, subject tracking people and animals. In the last instance I was able to get back to single point, AF-C via the i menu.

Any suggestions? I think it has to be something I've selected blocking the full range of focus modes. They are all ticked in the Limit AF-area mode selection menu.
I am surprised you opted for a Z6II over a D850, only you may know what your needs and reasons are.

Nikon has gone from historically an excellent menu system to the most frustrating..........is the general feed back i am hearing and reading.

The Z6 II is and very good camera, just Nikon's menu system is a learning curve and different, it will take time.

I think Nikon rushed to deliver an unfinished mirror less system including the Z9.

Only an opinion

I am surprised you opted for a Z6II over a D850, only you may know what your needs and reasons are.

Nikon has gone from historically an excellent menu system to the most frustrating..........is the general feed back i am hearing and reading.

The Z6 II is and very good camera, just Nikon's menu system is a learning curve and different, it will take time.

I think Nikon rushed to deliver an unfinished mirror less system including the Z9.

Only an opinion

Time is not on my side and I really wanted to jump onto the Z bus having used mirrorless cameras for some time. I bought a mint Fuji XT-1 the same year I got my D850 (2018) then progressed to an XT-2, then an XT-4. The Nikon was not getting much of a look in and I was mostly using it for shooting models.

After adding a Sony a7ii for use with my vintage manual focus lenses as a good used Z6 was over budget I later had a light bulb moment and realised that my beloved D850 was holding me back from the Z club. Had I not have had to pay £1200 for a job on my car, pay for my Wife's tooth crown and for a new boiler I'd likely bought a Z7ii but money was now also tight. After very carefully weighing up if I really needed a high res camera and watching a lot of YouTube Z6ii/Z7ii compsrisons I decided to go for a Z6ii, paid for by the sale of my D850. What I got from these comparisons is that the Z6ii is not really a model down from the Z7ii, they are more like brothers, each better than the other in certain areas. I'm sure that I made the right choice and I wanted the mirrorless advantages more than the D850 advantages.

Nikon were so far behind the game with mirrorless. My Sony a7ii was released in 2013 so designed well before that, but for manual focus with my vintage lenses it is excellent and much easier than the Z6ii.

Time is not on my side and I really wanted to jump onto the Z bus having used mirrorless cameras for some time. I bought a mint Fuji XT-1 the same year I got my D850 (2018) then progressed to an XT-2, then an XT-4. The Nikon was not getting much of a look in and I was mostly using it for shooting models.

After adding a Sony a7ii for use with my vintage manual focus lenses as a good used Z6 was over budget I later had a light bulb moment and realised that my beloved D850 was holding me back from the Z club. Had I not have had to pay £1200 for a job on my car, pay for my Wife's tooth crown and for a new boiler I'd likely bought a Z7ii but money was now also tight. After very carefully weighing up if I really needed a high res camera and watching a lot of YouTube Z6ii/Z7ii compsrisons I decided to go for a Z6ii, paid for by the sale of my D850. What I got from these comparisons is that the Z6ii is not really a model down from the Z7ii, they are more like brothers, each better than the other in certain areas. I'm sure that I made the right choice and I wanted the mirrorless advantages more than the D850 advantages.

Nikon were so far behind the game with mirrorless. My Sony a7ii was released in 2013 so designed well before that, but for manual focus with my vintage lenses it is excellent and much easier than the Z6ii.
Sounds great, the most important thing is your enjoying your self.

Its amazing what can be done with mirror less, its looking like its the future that's for certain.
There are massive cost saving for manufacturers all round.

The new glass complimenting mirror less is very impressive.

For myself, What is perceived coalface benefits of mirror less and what is reality is something to measure in the actual photos we make.

I have a Z9 with a 50mm 1.8 s other than that all other glass is still FX DSLR lenses with adapter.

With my D850 and rented at times D6 my keeper rate is very very high, the Z9 for me still has a way to go in certain areas of exposure and tracking in very challenging conditions for sports action, and i think i need to keep spending time with it, is it as user friendly compared to the D850 D6, for me, still far from it.

I am waiting for the next update to be installed.

I am not pouring money into Z glass just yet, i like to be realxed unincumberd from so many customizable choices, i like to be able to set and forget my cameras and just focus on composition is what i like, mirrorless is designed suposidly to do this for you.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I am not pouring money into Z glass just yet, i like to be realxed unincumberd from so many customisable choices to be able to set and forget my cameras and just focus on composition is what i like, mirrorless is designed suposidly to do this for you.

Nor me! I love my AF 85mm f1.8 D prime that I've had for years along with its brother, a nifty 50. Neither will AF on Z cameras as they are screw drive. While I'm not bothered about manual focus, I would like some AF Z lenses. I also have a Fuji kit and they make 2 56mm f1.2 lenses (equivalent to an 85mm f1.8) for between £700 - £950 new and I won't be getting one of them anytime soon. But a while back I bought a 56mm f1.4 Viltrox lens for my Fuji from someone I 'know' on another forum like this for £200. I was so impressed with the build quality and results - and that Viltrox have a lens correction profile that you can add to LR/ACR - that I started researching the Viltrox 85mm f1.8 ii Z mount. All of the reviews were positive and 3 in particular from well thought of reviewers had the consensus that it was 95% as good as the Nikon Z 85mm f1.8 S, but at under half of the price!!

I bought one a long time before my Z6ii was delivered! Cost me £295 delivered. Results? Excellent. Recommended YES! I suggest you check them out if you want a Z mount short telephoto prime. MKii model - first version was over-engineered and although the optics were good, it was heavy

When I took my first trip out with the Z6ii I took the Viltrox and my Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 ED that I've had for years with the FTZ I bought with the camera. After such a long time shooting with my Fuji XT-4 and Sony a7ii with my vintage manual focus lenses I'd forgotten about the weight of fast zoom lenses. My 24-70 f2.8 weighs 900gms - and it was so long! Especially with the FTZ and hood! I got some great images with them both. I'd forgotten how good the Nikon files are.

So this started me thinking. A new Z 24-70 f2.8 S costs £2125.00 in the UK (gulp) About £1000 more that what I paid for my F mount one. Smaller and 800gms, so not much lighter. The F4 version is £1044 in the UK and weighs 500gms. For about £100 more the 24-120 f4 comes in. 630gms splits the f2.8 and f4 24-70s. So I wrote off the Z24-70 f2.8 S. At this time due to the other costs that have all come in together, I could not justify the cost of the new 24-70/24-120 f4s. There are no used Z 24-120 f4 S in the UK, but lots of Z 24-70 f4 S that are probably the kit lenses that have been traded in for the 24-120 or other lenses. The going rate for a good used Z 24-70 f4 is £420 so right now my AF-S 24-70 f2.8 is being PX'd for one. Boxed, excellent condition and 12 months warranty. Much as I love my fast glass I have to be realistic regarding not just the cost, but also the weight + my advancing years.

My plan now is that should I want a fast shorter focal length I have lots of wonderful fast vintage lenses that will plug the gaps. All primes between 24-58mm f1.4 - f2 lenses and all manual focus and decent makers like Ziess and Pentax Takumar, Helious KMZ and Sigma, so that is no bother. Longer lenses are 80-200 f2.8, 300mm f4, 150-600 Sigma Sport + I have 1.4 and 1.7x TCs so I'm well covered there although the 150-600 might go as I have that FL with my Fuji 70-300 + 2x TC

Last edited:
That left my biggest issue. I found manual focusing is so difficult with my vintage lenses. If I wanted to enlarge the EVF for critical focus I Had to find the zoom button by the monitor and press twice to get the level of magnification. I know that eventually this will get easier, but..... Then it seems you loose peaking. A half press on the shutter release does not revert to normal EVF view, you have to find the Zoom minus button, press that twice and only then can you check framing and take the shot. My Sony a7ii has a button next to the shutter release that pressing once brings up a focus box so you can moeve it to where you want it, and a second press punches in. Peaking is still there and a half press of the shutter gives you normal EVF view and you take the shot. This camera was released back in 2013!

However I have found a work-around. Told you now I have the camera I have the incentive to sort these things out. I assigned the movie record button to Zoom. So now I can punch in, (without peaking) focus and pressing the movie record button again gives me normal EVF. Not ideal, but a hell of a lot better than how it was before. I has to set the camera time out to 60 seconds where usually 20 seconds is more than enough.

So my journey continues, onward and upwards. I did say in my firat post that "I know that first impressions of anything new can be skewed by not understanding quite how things work or not being used to something, and after a bit of time things can be quite different to how you first find them, but nevertheless, here goes" and I knew then that I would make progress. It was a bit of a shock to the system just how much faffing around that was needed that with my previous new Nikons (after the first one) were never a problem in any area. The icing on the cake was my fingers not reaching the FN buttons - I just never anticipated that!
One other technique that may help with manual focus lenses is to hold down the AF-On button and rotate the lens focus ring. The camera will automatically invoke focus peaking. With manual lenses, this is very useful. Depending on subjects, you might change the color of focus peaking highlights. Nikon Ambassador Kristi Odom is a nature photographer and changed hers to Purple because it was uncommon in nature (especially for wildlife).

I use the Zoom function with an assigned button as well. I use it regularly both before and after the photo.

Reactions: O
One other technique that may help with manual focus lenses is to hold down the AF-On button and rotate the lens focus ring. The camera will automatically invoke focus peaking. With manual lenses, this is very useful. Depending on subjects, you might change the color of focus peaking highlights. Nikon Ambassador Kristi Odom is a nature photographer and changed hers to Purple because it was uncommon in nature (especially for wildlife).

I use the Zoom function with an assigned button as well. I use it regularly both before and after the photo.

Thanks Eric, but when using vintage manual focus lenses. peaking works regardless of the AFON being pressed or not. I do have the camera set to MF of course.

I've got peaking set to red, but do occasionally change it depending on the subject. Now using the movie button to punch in. !00% looses the peaking, but it works at 50%.

Thanks Eric, but when using vintage manual focus lenses. peaking works regardless of the AFON being pressed or not. I do have the camera set to MF of course.

I've got peaking set to red, but do occasionally change it depending on the subject. Now using the movie button to punch in. !00% looses the peaking, but it works at 50%.
It would be nice to have focus peaking at 100%. I'm sure at times the peaking lines would be too large. On the Z6, I use 100% most of the time but 50% on my Z7ii.

It would be nice to have focus peaking at 100%. I'm sure at times the peaking lines would be too large. On the Z6, I use 100% most of the time but 50% on my Z7ii.

Agreed! But I have to say that at 100% peaking is probably not necessary. 50% seems to be working OK. It's been a bit of a mission this one, but I think that I've now got a usable camera for everything I want to do and my Sony a7ii is now redundant, although for just a bit of time I found myself wondering If I'd have to keep it for my vintage lenses for which it was bought in the first place.

Nor me! I love my AF 85mm f1.8 D prime that I've had for years along with its brother, a nifty 50. Neither will AF on Z cameras as they are screw drive. While I'm not bothered about manual focus, I would like some AF Z lenses. I also have a Fuji kit and they make 2 56mm f1.2 lenses (equivalent to an 85mm f1.8) for between £700 - £950 new and I won't be getting one of them anytime soon. But a while back I bought a 56mm f1.4 Viltrox lens for my Fuji from someone I 'know' on another forum like this for £200. I was so impressed with the build quality and results - and that Viltrox have a lens correction profile that you can add to LR/ACR - that I started researching the Viltrox 85mm f1.8 ii Z mount. All of the reviews were positive and 3 in particular from well thought of reviewers had the consensus that it was 95% as good as the Nikon Z 85mm f1.8 S, but at under half of the price!!

I bought one a long time before my Z6ii was delivered! Cost me £295 delivered. Results? Excellent. Recommended YES! I suggest you check them out if you want a Z mount short telephoto prime. MKii model - first version was over-engineered and although the optics were good, it was heavy

When I took my first trip out with the Z6ii I took the Viltrox and my Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 ED that I've had for years with the FTZ I bought with the camera. After such a long time shooting with my Fuji XT-4 and Sony a7ii with my vintage manual focus lenses I'd forgotten about the weight of fast zoom lenses. My 24-70 f2.8 weighs 900gms - and it was so long! Especially with the FTZ and hood! I got some great images with them both. I'd forgotten how good the Nikon files are.

So this started me thinking. A new Z 24-70 f2.8 S costs £2125.00 in the UK (gulp) About £1000 more that what I paid for my F mount one. Smaller and 800gms, so not much lighter. The F4 version is £1044 in the UK and weighs 500gms. For about £100 more the 24-120 f4 comes in. 630gms splits the f2.8 and f4 24-70s. So I wrote off the Z24-70 f2.8 S. At this time due to the other costs that have all come in together, I could not justify the cost of the new 24-70/24-120 f4s. There are no used Z 24-120 f4 S in the UK, but lots of Z 24-70 f4 S that are probably the kit lenses that have been traded in for the 24-120 or other lenses. The going rate for a good used Z 24-70 f4 is £420 so right now my AF-S 24-70 f2.8 is being PX'd for one. Boxed, excellent condition and 12 months warranty. Much as I love my fast glass I have to be realistic regarding not just the cost, but also the weight + my advancing years.

My plan now is that should I want a fast shorter focal length I have lots of wonderful fast vintage lenses that will plug the gaps. All primes between 24-58mm f1.4 - f2 lenses and all manual focus and decent makers like Ziess and Pentax Takumar, Helious KMZ and Sigma, so that is no bother. Longer lenses are 80-200 f2.8, 300mm f4, 150-600 Sigma Sport + I have 1.4 and 1.7x TCs so I'm well covered there although the 150-600 might go as I have that FL with my Fuji 70-300 + 2x TC

I have a good sample of the Z 50mm 1.8 S, and i must say corner to corner and colour accuracy is just amazing, its amongst the best 50mm i have used used, its colour and detail is superb, better than the 50mm 1.4 D or G, Also excellent for video.

I haven't compared it to the Ziess 50mm macro yet but i don't need to just yet, the Nikon is also dead sharp at 1.8, very impressive.

I have found also that my 70-200 FL i have is defiantly superior to all the previous 70-200 and 80-200 lenses, worth every cent this lens, i can hand hold beautifully at 1/10th of a second for sharp images with amazing colour accuracy. The 80-200 D on a good camera is brilliant and i loved mine but after a while of back and forth, the light weight, speed and VR IQ did it for me.

I don't move often only when their is a marked or quantum benefit. ie: D3X to D850, I have a Z9 i am playing with to see where and how it benefits my photography over time not my status level LOL.

I have stayed with the 14-24 24-70 G as part of my wholly trio outfit a) their just good and fit for the purpose b) not blowing that kind of money for grossly over priced Z versions.

I have gotten stunning results at all times on my D3X D4s using the 150-500 Sigma i still have, awesome for $1100.
I have the 200-500 i just love and is highly underrated.
I still have the 300 2.8 VR II i just love as its bright and fast, i only use it at F2.8.
I was looking at the 400 F4.5 Z which i feel is just a larger version of the 300 F4 FX at double the price, the difference in a lot of lenses is there and for me mostly very incremental, the huge cost for that extra few degrees of detail or sharpness is not that critical, weight and usability is a greater benefit.
I feel 90% of the results you achieve on any gear comes from you.
You cant buy a good photo, you make it.

Only and opinion

Steve Perry's Secrets to the Nikon Autofocus System, Mirrorless Edition is most likely worth the cost because it is far, far better than the manual in explaining and using the focus menus and controls.
If money is tight, don't buy Z lenses for a while. Some of the F mount lens are still better than their current Z mount versions and the selection of lens types is much smaller.
Getting the Z7ii wouldn't have solved your problem reaching some buttons since it is nearly identical in size to the Z6.

Steve Perry's Secrets to the Nikon Autofocus System, Mirrorless Edition is most likely worth the cost because it is far, far better than the manual in explaining and using the focus menus and controls.
If money is tight, don't buy Z lenses for a while. Some of the F mount lens are still better than their current Z mount versions and the selection of lens types is much smaller.
Getting the Z7ii wouldn't have solved your problem reaching some buttons since it is nearly identical in size to the Z6.

Yes - I got that well before the camera was delivered but I also needed to just look up other stuff which was difficult with having with no paper manual and issues with thr pdf one.

No shortage of F mount lenses after more than 20 years of shooting Nikon Digital but it is the weight factor that is becoming more of an issue. My Fuji XT-4 + 10-24 f4, 18-55 F2.8-4
70-300 f4-5.6, 85mm f1.8, 1.4x TC, 2 x XT-4 batteries, Memory card wallet weighs 5 kg inc bag, much less than my D850 did with 3 lenses! If I add my other XT-4, 35mm f2, 21mm f1.8, 12mm f2, Flashgun + trigger, 1 XT-4 battery grip, Filters, odds and ends, weight 10kg inc bag.

The reason why I wanted the Z7ii was it has the same sensor as my D850.

Thought I'd revive this thread after living with the Z6ii for a while now. We're doing OK. Living with the compromises, and to be fair, if I had not had the Fujis or Sony a7ii I guess that I would not have been moaning about the manual focus with my vintage lenses. My biggest gripe is still valid though. The lack of a manual in the box was the biggest handicap. The issues I had with the pff manual not working properly initially did not help and this is someone who has had 6 Nikon cameras over 20-odd years so am very familiar with the Nikon menus, controls and terminology. It was the tiny tweaks to fine tune the camera that had me pulling my hair out.

One thing that I've been wondering about is if the camera is set to use compressed RAW, does the processing power used in doing that have any impact on the AF and high frame rate? I'm aware that the Z6ii has 2 processors and in my ideal world, one would be assigned to the file saving and compressing while the other got stuck into AF and shutter.

Does anyone know?

Thought I'd revive this thread after living with the Z6ii for a while now. We're doing OK. Living with the compromises, and to be fair, if I had not had the Fujis or Sony a7ii I guess that I would not have been moaning about the manual focus with my vintage lenses. My biggest gripe is still valid though. The lack of a manual in the box was the biggest handicap. The issues I had with the pff manual not working properly initially did not help and this is someone who has had 6 Nikon cameras over 20-odd years so am very familiar with the Nikon menus, controls and terminology. It was the tiny tweaks to fine tune the camera that had me pulling my hair out.

One thing that I've been wondering about is if the camera is set to use compressed RAW, does the processing power used in doing that have any impact on the AF and high frame rate? I'm aware that the Z6ii has 2 processors and in my ideal world, one would be assigned to the file saving and compressing while the other got stuck into AF and shutter.

Does anyone know?
Graham - on the Z cameras there is no slowdown in processing related to Lossless Compression. In addition, the faster write speed allows faster writing to the cache and the card which improves overall speed buffer depth.

I'm not sure how they are allocating the capacity of the processors. I do know there is a lot more processing power than the second processor of the D5 and D850 in the Expeed 7 processor. But AF can't be separated from AI and scene recognition, and subject recognition. So you probably get better performance with Matrix Metering because the scene recognition helps with subject identification.

Graham - on the Z cameras there is no slowdown in processing related to Lossless Compression. In addition, the faster write speed allows faster writing to the cache and the card which improves overall speed buffer depth.

I'm not sure how they are allocating the capacity of the processors. I do know there is a lot more processing power than the second processor of the D5 and D850 in the Expeed 7 processor. But AF can't be separated from AI and scene recognition, and subject recognition. So you probably get better performance with Matrix Metering because the scene recognition helps with subject identification.

Thanks Eric (y)

Tired of waiting for a Z8 and at this time couldn't quite stretch to a Z7ii. After doing some research and a lot of soul searching, I sold my D850 and ordered a Z6ii in mid June and it was delivered on Friday.

Now I know that first impressions of anything new can be skewed by not understanding quite how things work or not being used to something, and after a bit of time things can be quite different to how you first find them, but nevertheless, here goes.

I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment. First the "manual" is useless. Worst I've seen after buying 6 new Nikon cameras over the years. Looking at the Nikon download centre there is a proper manual that I've put into my cloud so I can read it on a tablet. Unfortunately, unlike the manuals you could put in the Nikon Manuals app, the index pages don't have a hyperlink to the page, you have to scroll through. So much slower that flicking through a paper manual. Fortunately, during the wait for delivery of the camera I invested in Steve's book "Secrets to the Nikon Autofocus System - mirrorless Edition" so I had some idea of what the various AF modes do/are for and a plan to negate the very poor AF system design where focus area and tracking have to be selected from different places. Most people use the FN 1 and 2 custom buttons between the lens and the grip, one for focus area and the other for tracking thus enabling a quick(er) way to get to what you want.

Except that I can't do that easily. I have small hands and my fingers cannot reach the buttons without me changing my grip and then I reach the buttons, but can't easily turn the command dial! I'm really hoping that this will be one of the "getting used to something new" I mentioned earlier.

I've been spoilt over some years of shooting Fuji with the viewfinder display being completely customisable with user selections of everything that the screen can display. Not the several pre-set ones on the Z6ii that does not enable the EVF histogram in any other view. So few buttons are customisable compared to the Fuji and those that are - and the i menu - can't be set to the functions that I want.

Manual focus is something I do a lot with a collection of over 20 vintage lenses. The zoom buttons are awkward to use. I can feel them with my right thumb, but have to release my grip on the camera so I can press the shutter. If I use my left thumb I have to release my grip on the lens so then I can't focus! The Fuji and Sony a7ii both have much better ways of zooming in for focusing.

My Fujis allow me to name my non CPU lenses, but I only get 6. 12 if you count my other XT-4.

On the positive side, my spare batteries from my D850 work in the Z6ii and I now have 20 non CPU lenses in the memory. Just have to remember which one is which as I have several duplicate focal lengths and apertures.

One thing that I can't nail down yet is that having the FN2 button assigned to Focus mode / AF-area mode (and also having AF-area mode in the i menu too), sometimes when I press the FN button and turn the dial I can only select AF-S, AF-C or MF. No AF areas show at all. Trying the i menu the icon is greyed out. Other times it works as it should with both the i menu and FN2 + dial. This is in aperture priority mode. Switching off and on again makes no difference.

I also find it difficult to get out of subject tracking, The minus magnifying glass does not do it - in spite of that button showing exit and in this scenario the focus modes on the FN2 button only give MF, subject tracking people and animals. In the last instance I was able to get back to single point, AF-C via the i menu.

Any suggestions? I think it has to be something I've selected blocking the full range of focus modes. They are all ticked in the Limit AF-area mode selection menu.
In Today's world with all this new technology around we have so many new choices options and experiences to be had in photography, we should enjoy the type of gear we like and want to experience, its always exciting ?

Sometimes we can be to obsessed more with the short cuts programmability features bells and whistles at the expense of meaningful photography as our dependence moves more and more to the sophistication of the new gear.

To go out and make a photo is for many the key reward or objective often regardless of the gear, for others its the excitement of what the new gear contributes to what and how it can make a better photo, neither is right or wrong.

It depends on what compromises if any eventuate or what actually suffers if at all or that we may have missed that's important.

Will we be known for what gear we have or had or the photographs we shared enjoyed and eventually left behind.

Will the gear bring us better rewarding experiences adding to the enjoyment of our journeys.

A realy good photo will often become timeless, gear has only one consequence......... Obsolescence.

Life is full of decisions and choices, some harder some easier, as long as we have the freedom and means to chose is what counts.

Enjoy what we see, love what we do........enjoy what you have.

Making a good photograph is a reward.

My self presently, i am stopped and standing in front of the gate in the fence of change, i am seeing more and more that a good photo is more powerful than the gear i used to make it with, will the other side make my photography really any more powerful ?

One should never feel left behind, after all a train is only a train, they all end up in the same destination eventually.

Only an opinion

Last edited:

I think if you try the 50mm 1.8S you will sell instantly all you have in that FX G and D range, its simply that impressive and good, in fact its significantly better in every way.

The 50mm 1.8 S is excellent Edge to edge, colour accuracy and clarity.

I have the Nifty 50 D myself and i love it but it pails in comparison.

Tamron makes a 45mm 1.8 with VR, coalface feed back from some club members say compared to the G and D 50mm range of Nikon lenses, the Tamron seems to be better, plus it has VR.
Only an opinion

Last edited:
I think if you try the 50mm 1.8S you will sell instantly all you have in that FX G and D range,

Thing is, in the UK that lens is £480. My 4 vintage 50mm f1.8s - Pentax Super Takumar, Olympus Zuiko, Pentacon and Zeiss Pancolar cost under half of that, weigh a fraction of a modern AF lens, have character and most of all are fun to use. Since I've started to use the vintage lenses I'm starting to feel that modern lenses are maybe too clinically sharp and our obsession with sharpness is overlooking that many images are better for not being razor sharp. A bit like the difference between a CD and a vinyl album. Some of the classic images from history would not be improved if they were sharper.

I can't afford to replace my AF-S 14-24 f2.8 G or my AF-S 300mm f4 D. I sold my beloved AF-S 80-200 f2.8D and recently bought a used AF-S 70-200 f2.8 E FL for a song, otherwise that would not have happened. At this time I have 3 Z mount AF lenses. AF-S 24-70 f4 S, AF-S 70-200 f2.8 E FL and a Vilrox 85mm f1.8. The FTZ allows me to use the 14-24, 300 and my Sigma 150-600 Sport. However, I always carry some vintage lenses and use them more than the AF ones. I have 25 vintage lenses from 24mm to 500mm (1000mm if you include the 2x TC that came with the 500mm) and other than shooting action I'll always use a vintage lens as my first preference.

If I were a wildlife photographer I'd be using AF lenses a lot more.

Thing is, in the UK that lens is £480. My 4 vintage 50mm f1.8s - Pentax Super Takumar, Olympus Zuiko, Pentacon and Zeiss Pancolar cost under half of that, weigh a fraction of a modern AF lens, have character and most of all are fun to use. Since I've started to use the vintage lenses I'm starting to feel that modern lenses are maybe too clinically sharp and our obsession with sharpness is overlooking that many images are better for not being razor sharp. A bit like the difference between a CD and a vinyl album. Some of the classic images from history would not be improved if they were sharper.

I can't afford to replace my AF-S 14-24 f2.8 G or my AF-S 300mm f4 D. I sold my beloved AF-S 80-200 f2.8D and recently bought a used AF-S 70-200 f2.8 E FL for a song, otherwise that would not have happened. At this time I have 3 Z mount AF lenses. AF-S 24-70 f4 S, AF-S 70-200 f2.8 E FL and a Vilrox 85mm f1.8. The FTZ allows me to use the 14-24, 300 and my Sigma 150-600 Sport. However, I always carry some vintage lenses and use them more than the AF ones. I have 25 vintage lenses from 24mm to 500mm (1000mm if you include the 2x TC that came with the 500mm) and other than shooting action I'll always use a vintage lens as my first preference.

If I were a wildlife photographer I'd be using AF lenses a lot more.
I hear you, its for many of the same reasons I love my manual 50mm 1.4 Ziess for that special look and amazing image quality.

Love my 70-200 FL i got mine for $2500 AUD new.

For me I found my 50mm 1.8 s to be very accurate in colour and above all very natural and far from over sharp, there is no softness in the outer areas, the light gathering ability really shows the micro contrast being excellent and has very little focus breathing or CA.

Yes there are some mirroor less lenses that look clinical.

Only an opinion.

Back