Z6iii dynamic range vs other Z bodies

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MrFotoFool

Supporting Member
Marketplace
For those of us who are nitipicky and have nothing better to do, here is a chart comparing dynamic range. I know nothing about these charts, but looking at them as an amateur it appears the differences are so slight they are irrelevant. However, in comparison to Z7ii and Z8 it seems the latter two are better at base ISO but at high ISO (800 and above), the Z6iii is SLIGHTLY better. Compared to Zf and Z6ii, the three cameras are essentially identical at high ISO.

Looks like a slight to modest loss (approximately .5 stop give or take) at base ISO to ISO 800 comparted to its sister models, but at the ISO 800 gain it then runs about the same. I suspect some may not be happy at the loss and/or not having additional gain at higher ISO's given the less dense sensor. But I personally will not make any judgements until I see some images from the camera. It is not unexpected, its not what I was hoping to hear, but it is not keeping me up at night or causing me to reconsider a purchase. It offers so many other features.

--Ken

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

There're active threads on parallel Nikon forums, including DPR, with certain posters agonizing about the ~2/3 stop less DR of the Z6 III compared to the prominent choices in FX Nikonland :D Quelle horreur that it's actually 1+ Stop less DR than the ancient D850!

Ever after, we have to live with the uncomfortable reality of the 0.2 Stop difference in Dynamic Range at ISO 100 between the Z6 III and Z9 :oops: :oops:

So look forward to a replay of the bashing the Nikon D5 (which also optimizes high ISO image quality compared to base ISOs). The majority of the detractors and loudest critics never touched a D5 let alone owned the camera.

One reviewer with arguably the most field experience of the Z6 III to date is Ricci Chera; he noted the quality of Z6 III images are better in comparisons. Time will tell, as more experienced photographers capture images.

Last edited:
Seems like that partially stacked sensor has some tradeoffs, but some positive ones, too. Like AF and readout speed. Pretty good in low light though for a lower cost camera.

The low light EV chart at the bottom of ptp shows z6ii slightly better at 10.56 than the Z9 at 10.36 and close to it's competition the R6ii at 10.80

Last edited:
For those of us who are nitipicky and have nothing better to do, here is a chart comparing dynamic range. I know nothing about these charts, but looking at them as an amateur it appears the differences are so slight they are irrelevant. However, in comparison to Z7ii and Z8 it seems the latter two are better at base ISO but at high ISO (800 and above), the Z6iii is SLIGHTLY better. Compared to Zf and Z6ii, the three cameras are essentially identical at high ISO.

Thanks for the hint. I was looking the other day and didn't find it at PhTPh.
IMHO the differences in terms of Dynamic Range are negligible, apart from the ISO level where the "dual gain bump" occurs for the Z6 III compared to the Z8.
And for low light performance the SNR is the critical parameter. Looking forward to whaf Dxo makes of it.
As we have considerable larger sensor pixels I would expect some advantage of the Z6 III compared to the Z8.
But because the character of the noise creeated by te Z8 sensor seems to be easier to correct compared to other, especially older models / sensors I expect the advantage to be smaller than we kused to know it from DSLR times.

Back