Z6III Shutter Sounds - not working.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Playing around with the new Z6III. I just noticed that the "shutter sound" options don't do anything. Silent mode is off. Camera Sounds - Shutter sound is ON. No matter what Volume or Type I select, no change. I have a Z8, shutter sounds work just fine. Before I hit reset, has anyone else experienced this?

Are you in electronic shutter? If you are in mechanical shutter it may override the sounds.
Electronic shutter is silent mode is it not? I am not in silent mode. The menu systems for Shutter sounds on the Z6III and Z8 are identical. The Z8 sounds are changeable by type and volume. The same menu on the Z6III does nothing. The sounds are trivial but makes me wonder what else might be suspect. The animal autofocus is not that great for birds in my extremely limited testing.... Did I get a lemon?

Electronic shutter is silent mode is it not? I am not in silent mode. The menu systems for Shutter sounds on the Z6III and Z8 are identical. The Z8 sounds are changeable by type and volume. The same menu on the Z6III does nothing. The sounds are trivial but makes me wonder what else might be suspect. The animal autofocus is not that great for birds in my extremely limited testing.... Did I get a lemon?
I just joined this discussion because I'm also having this issue. Getting ready to shoot a wedding this weekend and started playing with camera shutter sounds settings, but there is no effect. Stays the same no matter the type or volume, including when I change to electronic shutter. Hope it's not a major defect, but I'd like to know if anyone else is experiencing this. Using my Z8 settings to make sure I've done everything correctly.

Figured it out. You can only change the shutter sounds when shooting in Electronic shutter type only. You cannot be in Electronic Front-curtain or any of the mechanical shutter options. After I made the shutter type change in D6, changing the shutter sounds works just fine. A bit confusion, but got it working. Hope this helps.

Ok, my bad. I just got off the phone with Nikon. @Warren D was right The Z6iii under Custom Settings, D Shooting/Display, d6 shutter type by default is set to Auto. Auto in my case results in Mechanical Shutter which disables Shutter sounds per Nikon. I realized without prompting my Z8 has no mechanical shutter, the sound always works. Duh....

My Z6ii had a nice thump during the shutter release, so the sounds or lack thereof never came up.

So for wedding photography, Silent mode is just a shortcut for electronic shutter without digging down to d6 in the Custom settings I take it AND without the shutter sounds if enabled along with Beeps. Someone @Cameron T can jump in to point out what I missed.

d6 menu options are Auto, Mechanical, Electronic front-curtain, and Electronic Shutter. Auto being the default.

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z6III/en/sum_camera_sounds_339.html

Z6III reference manual online only

Last edited:
Ok, my bad. I just got off the phone with Nikon. @Warren D was right The Z6iii under Custom Settings, D Shooting/Display, d6 shutter type by default is set to Auto. Auto in my case results in Mechanical Shutter which disables Shutter sounds per Nikon. I realized without prompting my Z8 has no mechanical shutter, the sound always works. Duh....

My Z6ii had a nice thump during the shutter release, so the sounds or lack thereof never came up.

So for wedding photography, Silent mode is just a shortcut for electronic shutter without digging down to d6 in the Custom settings I take it AND without the shutter sounds if enabled along with Beeps. Someone @Cameron T can jump in to point out what I missed.

d6 menu options are Auto, Mechanical, Electronic front-curtain, and Electronic Shutter. Auto being the default, I am sure some extended speed goes to electronic but that is not where i live shooting plodding subjects.
You can also change shutter type to Electronic (not Front-curtain), and you will gain the ability to change shutter sound and type. :)

Back