Z6iii vs upcoming R5ii

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Which one to get for birds?
Don't you already have the R6ii? You posted some bird photos using that camera and they looked good. I would not change systems based on the latest new camera. The Z6iii does have some advantages, but with it you need the lenses that fit what you photograph. The R6ii is close enough I would not even think about changing systems based on the camera.

The real issue is technique - and getting enough practice with the camera you own.

If we assume R5II is 45MP stacked sensor with Canon's superior AF and Bird detection then it is R5II all the way. That is ignoring lens selection which to be honest, Canon is sort of blah, blah in the bird category.

But as others have already pointed out, R5II compares more with Z8. Z6III would compare more with R6II.

The z6iii probably goes head to head with the Canon R6ii. 24MP priced originally around $2400. $1900 now with a big sale. The 200-800 mm around $1900 or the 100-500 around $2400. The TC is around $450.

They keep telling us the R5ii is around the corner, supposed to be $3900.

If we assume R5II is 45MP stacked sensor with Canon's superior AF and Bird detection then it is R5II all the way. That is ignoring lens selection which to be honest, Canon is sort of blah, blah in the bird category.

But as others have already pointed out, R5II compares more with Z8. Z6III would compare more with R6II.
I'm going to disagree about superior AF. I think the only real differentiation is lenses, which nikon wins at hands down.

I'm going to disagree about superior AF. I think the only real differentiation is lenses, which nikon wins at hands down.
Nikon definitely offers better lenses for intermediate priced long primes and the flagship 400 f/2.8, 600 f/4 TC's. With respect to AF, Sony and Canon are better than Nikon.

Of course both cameras will give outstanding results. If you are primarily doing birds you need a long lens and I think this might be the deciding factor. If the most important thing is long reach with light weight (and mid range price), then Canon might be better with either the 100-500 L or 200-800 L. On the other hand, if you are willing to carry a bit more weight to get a larger aperture, then Nikon might be better with the 180-600 (modest price) or 600PF or 800PF (higher price).

If weight and money are no object then of course the Nikon 600 f4 TC is the winner.

Not comparing apples with apples
And Nikon guys are most likely going with the Nikon and Canon with the Canon…and Sony guys with whatever Sony does next. Brand hopping is…for most of us I think…not really economically feasible especially seeing as whoever is "best" today might be leapfrogged next month. Unless one of the vendors comes out with a revolutionary better body along with the revolutionary better lenses to complement it…and has sufficient patents to prevent the other vendors from basically copying/reverse engineering/matching it then most people are going to be brand loyal since a new body is a whole lot cheaper than a whole new system.

This could be interesting, compares z6iii to R6ii, R5, and others.

Last edited:
Canon does have the $1900 mirrorless 200-800mm lens which would be good for many people photographing small birds who have limited funds. Canon also has the 100-500mm f/7.1 lens which may be enough in many situations.

However Canon lacks lenses comparable to the Nikon 400mm f/2.8 TC, 600mm f/4 TC, 600mm PF, and the 800mm PF, for bird photography. The Canon 800mm lens is 3 times the cost of the Nikon 800mm PF and at 6.9 lbs I would need a tripod 100% of the time.

Canon does have the $1900 mirrorless 200-800mm lens which would be good for many people photographing small birds who have limited funds. Canon also has the 100-500mm f/7.1 lens which may be enough in many situations.

However Canon lacks lenses comparable to the Nikon 400mm f/2.8 TC, 600mm f/4 TC, 600mm PF, and the 800mm PF, for bird photography. The Canon 800mm lens is 3 times the cost of the Nikon 800mm PF and at 6.9 lbs I would need a tripod 100% of the time.
I'd agree Canon doesn't have any good competition to the 600PF or 800PF.
They do have the RF400/2.8 and RF600/4. Yes, I get it that they don't have the built in TC and that is a very cool feature, but just like Sony, you can still get a modern, relatively lightweight 400 or 600 and use external TCs. So I'd argue they have comparable to the 400TC and 600TC especially if one is really just after the raw lens specs and not the specs with a TC attached. But even if one is after 560/4 or 840/5.6, you can still do it just with an extra 30s of TC attachment or detachment time. Inconvenient in comparison to the Nikons but not limiting one's ultimate results based on focal length and aperture.

Don't you already have the R6ii? You posted some bird photos using that camera and they looked good. I would not change systems based on the latest new camera. The Z6iii does have some advantages, but with it you need the lenses that fit what you photograph. The R6ii is close enough I would not even think about changing systems based on the camera.

The real issue is technique - and getting enough practice with the camera you own.
I’m very happy with my R6ii. Just thought I’d throw out an interesting question. My days of taking fantastic photos are gone. At 80, you loose a lot of ability. I’m just happy with what I got. Thanks for a good answer.

I’m very happy with my R6ii. Just thought I’d throw out an interesting question. My days of taking fantastic photos are gone. At 80, you loose a lot of ability. I’m just happy with what I got. Thanks for a good answer.
I’m 63 and still waiting for my days of taking fantastic photos. 😄🤪.
I sincerely hope when I’m 80 I will still be out there with whatever cameras look like the.

Just wanted to say good on you for being out there and active. Wish you many more years to enjoy capturing images.
Jeff

Thank y
I’m 63 and still waiting for my days of taking fantastic photos. 😄🤪.
I sincerely hope when I’m 80 I will still be out there with whatever cameras look like the.

Just wanted to say good on you for being out there and active. Wish you many more years to enjoy capturing images.
Jeff
Thank you, that was very kind. My diving days with a large camera were nearing the end and I needed another challenge. I am convinced that without some passion in your life there is not a lot of purpose. If one other person enjoys my creativity I’ve made someone’s life a tiny bit better.

Thank y

Thank you, that was very kind. My diving days with a large camera were nearing the end and I needed another challenge. I am convinced that without some passion in your life there is not a lot of purpose. If one other person enjoys my creativity I’ve made someone’s life a tiny bit better.
I like the way you think.

Back