Z8 AF improvements.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JoelKlein

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Thom and Ricci confirms
  • AF improvements (dedicated Airplane detection, silhouette focus, smaller face detect)
What does it mean for Z9 users? Is it software tweaking or physical sensor tweaking?

Thom and Ricci confirms
  • AF improvements (dedicated Airplane detection, silhouette focus, smaller face detect)
What does it mean for Z9 users? Is it software tweaking or physical sensor tweaking?
Well it is the same sensor as Z9 so not "sensor tweaking". Certainly a firmware thing. Regardless it means nothing until we have it in our own hands to see whether it's meaningful to what we each shoot. Airplanes... meh. Smaller faces... meh.

The Z7ii supposedly uses the same sensor as the original Z7. As per Thom its a ‘physical’ tweaked updated version.

I have a feeling the Z8 has been physically tweaked as well. Ricci said it might be. And taking the Z7 to Z7ii as an example it surely makes sense.

Time will tell…

We'll see if the Z8 has been tweaked. At the same time, it is possible that the Z9 will get a firmware update that will close or even leapfrog the Z8's current capability. What I find intriguing is the possibility that the Z9II may be getting ready to launch next year for the 2024 Summer Olympics. The specs may stomp all over the Z8. I realize that this is speculation but the fact that Nikon released a model, the Z8, that is so close to the Z9 in capability that it would make sense for Nikon to restore some distance between its flagship camera and its stable mates.

Back