Z8 and Z 600mm PF customisation

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Roaring 40s

Supporting Member
Marketplace
So I've done a search - but the search function won't accept Z or Z8 or f6.3. They're too short!

I assigned exposure compensation to the lens control ring (as identified by the lens manual; the camera calls it a function ring but it's the only ring apart from MF).

What that did was turn it into an aperture ring. When used, what also changes is the EV comp scale in the EVF but only into negative.

Other settings: Manual mode, Auto ISO

What am I missing?

What am I missing?
The Function ring is by default set to Focus but it is a programmable control and it sounds like that's what you've been reprogramming.

There is actually a Control ring which is what you want to reprogram, scroll down a bit further in the Custom Controls Shooting (f2) menu item. The Control ring programming is all the way at the bottom of that graphic menu on the right. Look for the last entry in that table for Control Ring that's the ring you want to reprogram.

BTW, you have to have a Z lens mounted to see the Custom Controls Shooting menu option for the Control Ring at the bottom of the table. If you don't have a Z lens mounted you won't see that extra Control ring programming option.

Many thanks for your reply DRW.

Yep, lens is installed.

I think the rings in the diagram on the monitor in the custom assignment procedure are mislabeled.

Anyway, I've now got the front narrow ring doing EV+/-. The closer wide ring has aperture assigned but does MF.

Update.

The forward narrow ring isn't quick to reach with lens cover either side so I fitted a follow focus ring which works a treat for exposure compensation. And it doesn't cancel a held Recall Shooting Function.

And here's a table of Z8 custom assignment options...

Attachments

• Z8_CustomControls_List_(En)01(1).pdf
    339.5 KB · Views: 75
Back