Z8 at last

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

trapper12

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi all just wanted to put I it out there I finally got a z8.Was thinking about the z6111 as the z8 was always a bit out of my reach dollars wise but my camera store put it on special at 1000.00 off and I decided to trade a body and lens so got it at a price too good to ignore,just have to learn to fly it now.I have most of Steve’s books so just ordered his z8/9 guide so diving into that can’t wait to post some pics.Never owned a camera of this this calibre so looking forward to learning to use it😀

Great move - now have fun learning how to use it. Steve's books are a great start but nothing beats going out there and taking lots of pictures, and trying out how you want to configure the camera. And learn the autofocus system!

Great move - now have fun learning how to use it. Steve's books are a great start but nothing beats going out there and taking lots of pictures, and trying out how you want to configure the camera. And learn the autofocus system!
Thankyou,yeah it all looks a bit daunting coming from a d500 and a z6 but really looking forward to what I can get out of this camera it’s good fun learning new things about things you love doing

Congratulations on a great deal on an excellent camera! I recently purchased a Z8. And, I am amazed. I kept my Z6ii, but am tempted to get the Z6iii.

Congratulations on a great deal on an excellent camera! I recently purchased a Z8. And, I am amazed. I kept my Z6ii, but am tempted to get the Z6iii.
Thanks so much hope your enjoying your new camera I hope to be amazed too ,the features on it are amazing

Hi all just wanted to put I it out there I finally got a z8.Was thinking about the z6111 as the z8 was always a bit out of my reach dollars wise but my camera store put it on special at 1000.00 off and I decided to trade a body and lens so got it at a price too good to ignore,just have to learn to fly it now.I have most of Steve’s books so just ordered his z8/9 guide so diving into that can’t wait to post some pics.Never owned a camera of this this calibre so looking forward to learning to use it😀
How exciting. Congratulations. For me, I had to spend a lot more time learning about the Z8 focusing system than the D500, but well worth the effort. I have had mine since it was released and am still learning and making changes to the settings. Enjoy. Eager to see your photos.

How exciting. Congratulations. For me, I had to spend a lot more time learning about the Z8 focusing system than the D500, but well worth the effort. I have had mine since it was released and am still learning and making changes to the settings. Enjoy. Eager to see your photos.
Thanks so much,yes it seems like the autofocus is all the talk so many options but looking forward to the challenge

Congratulations, I also bought a Z8 a few weeks ago after a break from photography for a few years, but circumstances have changed and now I can spend a lot of time with a camera again.
Switching to Nikon (from a Canon 1DX/7D) and mirrorless takes some learning but I love the camera and the lenses (14-24, 24-120, 100-400, 105 micro and the 600 and 800PF + 1.4x). The 800PF was one of the main reasons I chose Nikon, the 600PF and the Z8 other convincing reasons, but also the other lenses. The 800 is really light for such a lens and here in southern Germany everything is shy (except some birds in parks) so 600 is mostly too short anyway. The 600Pf will be great for hiking and traveling, though.

I bought Steve's books for the Nikon AF system, his wonderful BiF book and the Z8/Z9 setup guide. They are very helpful.
I also bought Thom Hogan's Z8 guide which provides loads for additional info over the manual and I also got a lot from the Steve's Youtube Channel and the channel of Jan Wegener, who also has great videos for how to set up the Z8. Highly recommended.
Mastering the camera will take time but for me that's a fun process.

Have fun with your Z8, I am definitely having fun with mine.

Last edited:
Congratulations, I also bought a Z8 a few weeks ago after a break from photography for a few years, but circumstances have changed and now I can spend a lot of time with a camera again.
Switching to Nikon (from a Canon 1DX/7D) and mirrorless takes some learning but I love the camera and the lenses (14-24, 24-120, 100-400, 105 micro and the 600 and 800PF + 1.4x). The 800PF was one of the main reasons I chose Nikon, the 600PF and the Z8 other convincing reasons, but also the other lenses. The 800 is really light for such a lens and here in southern Germany everything is shy (except some birds in parks) so 600 is mostly too short anyway. The 600Pf will be great for hiking and traveling, though.

I bought Steve's books for the Nikon AF system, his wonderful BiF book and the Z8/Z9 setup guide. They are very helpful.
I also bought Thom Hogan's Z8 guide which provides loads for additional info over the manual and I also got a lot from the Steve's Youtube Channel and the channel of Jan Wegener, who also has great videos for how to set up the Z8. Highly recommended.
Mastering the camera will take time but for me that's a fun process.

Have fun with your Z8, I am definitely having fun with mine.
Thankyou for your reply I hope you are enjoying yours and I’m certainly going to enjoy mine

Back