Z8 battery got wet. Just letting it dry?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

mjais

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Today I was caught in heavy rain. Cameras and lenses were protected by a backpack but I had a battery in one if the smaller outer pockets where it got a little wet.
At home, when I noticed that, I rubbed it dry. The contacts where covered by the plastic cover that comes with Nikon batteries.
There were only a few drops of water on the battery.

I have spares, so I thought I just don't put it onto a camera until the next weekend, by then, any moisture should be gone. Or the battery will be dead.

Anything else I should do?
Could reinserting the battery in a few days damage the camera?

Today I was caught in heavy rain. Cameras and lenses were protected by a backpack but I had a battery in one if the smaller outer pockets where it got a little wet.
At home, when I noticed that, I rubbed it dry. The contacts where covered by the plastic cover that comes with Nikon batteries.
There were only a few drops of water on the battery.

I have spares, so I thought I just don't put it onto a camera until the next weekend, by then, any moisture should be gone. Or the battery will be dead.

Anything else I should do?
Could reinserting the battery in a few days damage the camera?
Zipplock bag with uncooked rice for overnight. Will suck up whatever moisture got in the crevices. Uncooked 🤠.

fwiw, current guidance says don’t use rice use a proper desiccate as the rice has dust type debris that can get in gear and isn’t as good of moisture remover. you should be able to find desiccate at a lot of the larger box stores. that said, i’d probably still use it if that’s all i had access to

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I currently don't have neither rice nor a desiccate, but could get some.

Would it be enough to just not use the battery for a week, that should be ample time to dry it completely. It probably is already dry but I am rather leaning towards paranoia then ruining my Z8.

I will get a waterproof bag, e.g. ziplock bag, for the next time it gets rainy.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I currently don't have neither rice nor a desiccate, but could get some.

Would it be enough to just not use the battery for a week, that should be ample time to dry it completely. It probably is already dry but I am rather leaning towards paranoia then ruining my Z8.

I will get a waterproof bag, e.g. ziplock bag, for the next time it gets rainy.
Unlikely you caused any damage and in the absence of a desiccant, would allow it to dry for a week or so before using it. If you have some compressed air you might be able to dry it faster. The cells themselves are well sealed because Li is very reactive (alkali) and if it came into contact with H2O it would produce H2 gas. The contacts themselves are usually gold plated so corrosion would be unlikely. Again, you probably dodged a bullet and carrying the batteries in a protective container is probably advisable.

Unlikely you caused any damage and in the absence of a desiccant, would allow it to dry for a week or so before using it. If you have some compressed air you might be able to dry it faster. The cells themselves are well sealed because Li is very reactive (alkali) and if it came into contact with H2O it would produce H2 gas. The contacts themselves are usually gold plated so corrosion would be unlikely. Again, you probably dodged a bullet and carrying the batteries in a protective container is probably advisable.

Thanks, I just found that I have some ziplock bags still lying around, one is already in the backpack. I was stupid to put the battery in the outer smaller packet, inside the backpack, where the cameras and then lenses were, everything is super dry.

Just warm it a bit, if you are worried about the water. If there is no visible water near the contacts, you should be able to put it on the charger, which will warm the battery and get rid of remaining moisture.

Back