Z8 changing DISP button function to Recall shooting function (hold)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve suggested setting the DISP button to Recall shooting function (hold) which is then set to AF subject detection options in order to rapidly toggle between bird and critters. That works beautifully but I then cannot change the display to showing horizon line (level), or getting rid of all the settings, or showing the histogram, etc, etc.
Is there some alternative way to change the display (shooting) with the DISP button now hijacked to Recall shooting function?
Thanks

Steve suggested setting the DISP button to Recall shooting function (hold) which is then set to AF subject detection options in order to rapidly toggle between bird and critters. That works beautifully but I then cannot change the display to showing horizon line (level), or getting rid of all the settings, or showing the histogram, etc, etc.
Is there some alternative way to change the display (shooting) with the DISP button now hijacked to Recall shooting function?
Thanks
You can assign the display cycle to another button but you cannot use the same button for RSF and also use it for another function (while shooting stills) at the same time.

Lot's of ways to handle this, but FWIW I leave the DISP button for cycling through the display options and use a joystick center press for RSF Hold. I like that because the joystick has texture that's easy to identify with the thumb so I can find it quickly when I want to activate RSF without taking my eye from the viewfinder and I don't have a lot of other uses for the center press on the joystick. Also the other joystick functions like moving the focus area still work fine as it only redefines the center press.

Thanks
Since I'm a wildlife shooter i never use the flash button on top of the round dial on the top left of the camera. I use the DISP button for 3D and put the DISP option on the flash button as i rarely ever change my EVF or LCD layout.

You can assign the display cycle to another button but you cannot use the same button for RSF and also use it for another function (while shooting stills) at the same time.

Lot's of ways to handle this, but FWIW I leave the DISP button for cycling through the display options and use a joystick center press for RSF Hold. I like that because the joystick has texture that's easy to identify with the thumb so I can find it quickly when I want to activate RSF without taking my eye from the viewfinder and I don't have a lot of other uses for the center press on the joystick. Also the other joystick functions like moving the focus area still work fine as it only redefines the center press.
Thanks! Good idea.
BTW I have greatly appreciated your posts in this forum over the years. Always helpful!

Back