Z8 clicking lens release button

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

gmart7717

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I received my recently recalled Z8 from repair on Wednesday, July 12. I didn't really have time to check it out completely, so I just put my Z 24-120 lens on it and then stored it in my camera bag. I took it out this morning and was going to change lens, when I noticed a loud click whenever I pushed the lens release button. The lens came off without a problem, but it got me thinking...huh, I don't ever remember hearing a click when I push the button on any of my other cameras including the D500 and D6.

Of course, the click is not present when you press the button without a lens attached and I don't have another z lens I can test it with but it also happens with my FTZ.

Anyone else experiencing this or is it destined for return to Nikon repair? :censored:

I received my recently recalled Z8 from repair on Wednesday, July 12. I didn't really have time to check it out completely, so I just put my Z 24-120 lens on it and then stored it in my camera bag. I took it out this morning and was going to change lens, when I noticed a loud click whenever I pushed the lens release button. The lens came off without a problem, but it got me thinking...huh, I don't ever remember hearing a click when I push the button on any of my other cameras including the D500 and D6.

Of course, the click is not present when you press the button without a lens attached and I don't have another z lens I can test it with but it also happens with my FTZ.

Anyone else experiencing this or is it destined for return to Nikon repair? :censored:
The clicking is normal, I noticed that too, but it also does it on my Z 9 and Z 7II, sometimes it doesn‘t click and sometimes it does even with the same lens. Might be how the pin lines up with the lens mount, but it does it on all my Z cameras, the lens mounts and unmounts just fine though. I don’t think the DSLR’s ever had a click when you pressed the button but the Z cameras seem to use a different style of button

The clicking is normal, I noticed that too, but it also does it on my Z 9 and Z 7II, sometimes it doesn‘t click and sometimes it does even with the same lens. Might be how the pin lines up with the lens mount, but it does it on all my Z cameras, the lens mounts and unmounts just fine though. I don’t think the DSLR’s ever had a click when you pressed the button but the Z cameras seem to use a different style of button
I'm talking about completely pressing the lens release button with a lens attached as the first step in removing the lens. As you indicated, it seems like the button/pin is not lined up correctly because it definitlely has some resistance on it. I don't remember this before it was sent off to repair.

I'm talking about completely pressing the lens release button with a lens attached as the first step in removing the lens. As you indicated, it seems like the button/pin is not lined up correctly because it definitlely has some resistance on it. I don't remember this before it was sent off to repair.
Like I said all the Z cameras do it, I get the Click on the Z 9, Z 8, Z 7II, Z 6 and Z 50, There are times when it clicks when you press the lens release button and sometimes it doesn’t

Like I said all the Z cameras do it, I get the Click on the Z 9, Z 8, Z 7II, Z 6 and Z 50, There are times when it clicks when you press the lens release button and sometimes it doesn’t
Here we are one year later.. purchased a new Z8 and also noticed this lens release button "click" occasionally. So how common is this ? Does your Z8/Z9 do this?

Last edited:
Back