Z8 crash

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

G'day and Happy New Year!

Yesterday my Z8 shutter would not operate. All other functions seemed to be working but couldn't take a picture which was rather annoying as I missed some good BIFs. Anyway I tried switching off, then removing the battery and finally did a full reset. All my settings were obviously lost (note to self take Steve's advice and make a backup card) and had to spend some time trying to remember and work out which menu the various setting I wanted were in. Anyway got there in the end and had a good day shooting.

Has anyone else had this problem or is it just bad luck on my part?

Matt
Bendigo, Australia

Mt Moliagul 4Jan24-5.jpgMt Moliagul 4Jan24-11.jpgMt Moliagul 4Jan24-2.jpg

I've had issues like that with my Z9, never my Z8. Hopefully it won't happen again. If ti does, I'd consider sending it to Nikon. My Z9 has a could have bad components that required replacement. Nikon also hinted that maybe I should stop using it as a shovel to scoop sand, but what do they know? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Steve’s hint of defective or faulty components is correct. Last summer my Z9 morphed into a 3 pound paperweight.….one week out of warranty. Nikon fixed it. The motherboard and shutter button were defective…. If you’re having issues now don’t wait and wonder when it will happen next…. Send it in..

Reports of defective parts causing a camera to shut down are troubling. I have had my Z8 a few months with no issues (though I did send it in soon after I got it when they announced the strap lug recall). But yes, I agree with above you should send it in.

Before sending it back, a couple things to think about.
1) could you have accidentally set the camera to not release the shutter unless focus was locked on?
2) if you have it set so that it won't release the shutter if the card(s) are absent, is is possible you had a bad cards or perhaps a card that wasn't seated fully or bad contacts, etc?

I'm not familiar with Z8 menus but these 2 "features" are common across a lot of camera brands.

You may well have encountered some software bug or a hardware problem. I just always assume it is my mistake first and work my way out from there. If there is a mistake to be made, there is a high probability I will make it.

Jeff

Before sending it back, a couple things to think about.
1) could you have accidentally set the camera to not release the shutter unless focus was locked on?
2) if you have it set so that it won't release the shutter if the card(s) are absent, is is possible you had a bad cards or perhaps a card that wasn't seated fully or bad contacts, etc?

I'm not familiar with Z8 menus but these 2 "features" are common across a lot of camera brands.

You may well have encountered some software bug or a hardware problem. I just always assume it is my mistake first and work my way out from there. If there is a mistake to be made, there is a high probability I will make it.

Jeff
Jeff, I didn't alter anything. Fine one day effed the next. Factory reset solved the problem and it worked well for the rest of the day.

Jeff, I didn't alter anything. Fine one day effed the next. Factory reset solved the problem and it worked well for the rest of the day.
cool. Glad that worked. The reason I brought it up was something similar with my D500. Somehow, I changed a setting without noticing and the shutter wouldn't release.

Hope this was a one time thing for your camera.

Jeff

I have had a strange happening with my Z8 with my 180-600 with 2x teleconverter. One frame to the next the photos went black or really dark. Anyone else have this problem or know what may have caused it?

I have had a strange happening with my Z8 with my 180-600 with 2x teleconverter. One frame to the next the photos went black or really dark. Anyone else have this problem or know what may have caused it?
I recall seeing a thread on it, going the other way (totally white) and I think the conclusion had to do with auto ISO. Are you using that?

I’ve had two freezes where the z8 stopped working and by turning it off then pulling the battery out then restart it worked fine. After the second time I did a deep reformat on the card. It was different brand than the previous. Since then no problems so far.

I've had issues like that with my Z9, never my Z8. Hopefully it won't happen again. If ti does, I'd consider sending it to Nikon. My Z9 has a could have bad components that required replacement. Nikon also hinted that maybe I should stop using it as a shovel to scoop sand, but what do they know? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I thought you knew to use a paint brush to get the sand and dirt off of and out of its nooks-and-crannies before you sent to to Mother N! ;)

I recall seeing a thread on it, going the other way (totally white) and I think the conclusion had to do with auto ISO. Are you using that?
Yes, I am using auto ISO. Have it set to 6400. What was the solution?

Just an extra data point to throw on the fire:

I've had my Z9 freeze once...even the power switch did not work (flip on and off and camera stayed on but was unresponsive). It was crazy. I pulled the battery and all was good. Scared me a bit but hasn't happened since. I've only had the camera for about 3 months.

Yes, I am using auto ISO. Have it set to 6400. What was the solution?
I'm trying to recall. What's the exit say about aperture, speed and ISO? Theirs was wacky and led to a conclusion that (I think) a spot where the lens was pointed was super dark which maxed out the ISO. Yours would be the opposite, it would show closed iris, fast shutter and low ISO, enough to black the frame. 100% guess.

I have not had issues with my Z9.

I do observe that these cameras are computers, just as my cable tv set top box is a computer.

Computers seem to have a lot of glitches which I am assuming are due to bugs in software. That results sometimes in things locking up. Most of that is solved by rebooting or repowering the device.

As far as computers go, the big Nikons seem to be well built and don't lock up hardly at all.

At the same time there could be hardware defects causing this.

I would talk to Nikon about it and maybe send it in for inspection.

I have not had issues with my Z9.

I do observe that these cameras are computers, just as my cable tv set top box is a computer.

Computers seem to have a lot of glitches which I am assuming are due to bugs in software. That results sometimes in things locking up. Most of that is solved by rebooting or repowering the device.

As far as computers go, the big Nikons seem to be well built and don't lock up hardly at all.

At the same time there could be hardware defects causing this.

I would talk to Nikon about it and maybe send it in for inspection.
This is the first time I have ever had a problem with my Z8, I have a feeling it is because of the 2.0 teleconverter and the communication it stopped from the lens. This is the first time I have used the 2.0 tele with my Z8 and my 180-600.

Back