Z8 i Menu Question(s)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Al Wyman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
HELP! I have my i menu setup the way that I want it. Two of the selections are SHOOT (to change the Shooting Bank) and Custom (to change the Custom Menu Bank)
I go in and select SHOOT and change to Bank B. After making the change to B how do I get back to the Main i Menu so that I can select Custom to make a change to Custom Bank B. After I make the change to Shoot B the i menu is now completely different than the one that I originally set up. I know I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure out what.

Al

I would refer you to the User Manual, and perhaps some YouTube videos that explain the camera menu system and what the different configuration settings do. It sounds like you don't understand how the Banks are supposed to work.

The short answer is: The i-menu in Bank B will show you whatever you had it set at the last time you were in Bank B. Apparently you didn't have the "SHOOT" option added to the i-menu the last time you were in Bank B. You can change to different banks without using the i-menu by using the first items listed in the Photo Shooting Menu and/or Custom Settings Menu directly.

Last edited:
the setup of the i Menu is part of the Custom Settings and those custom settings change when you switch from one custom settings bank to another. Therefore, if you have only set up your i Menu in custom settings bank A, it will look totally different, once you have switched to custom settings bank B.
I avoided this issue on my Z9 by configuring shooting and custom settings bank A, then copying both to B and C (I don't really need D) and then adjusting B and C where needed

Like Dusty stated, you need to copy settings from one bank to the other, then setup the bank the way you want. Shooting banks are otherwise very much like a new camera never setup before. I see how they can be beneficial but I haven’t fully figured them out enough to have them work the way I want them to.

Thanks to all. I think I'm all set. I have the i menu set the same for each bank ? I don't understand why you would not want the I menu itself set the same for each bank. The i menu only gives you access to setting your selected action. for example -Focus Mode You could have it set for AF-C in one Bank and AF-S in another Bank. But Focus mode itself should still be available to make any changes in any bank that you would wish to.

Thanks to all. I think I'm all set. I have the i menu set the same for each bank ? I don't understand why you would not want the I menu itself set the same for each bank. The i menu only gives you access to setting your selected action. for example -Focus Mode You could have it set for AF-C in one Bank and AF-S in another Bank. But Focus mode itself should still be available to make any changes in any bank that you would wish to.
For example - I don't need focus shift shooting in the iMenu when I'm using my Action Bank. Nor do I need Focus tracking w/lockon in the iMenu for my Scenics bank.
I do agree that some things are best kept the same between banks (button assignments in particular) but you can see and tell what the functions are in the iMenu so I'm not too concerned about getting confused using a slightly different iMenu when switching between banks.

Back