Z8 lug repair - techs took thousands of photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I only did one photo session (plus a couple shots at home) before I got the notice that Nikon was doing free repairs for the strap lug failure. The last photo on the memory card before I sent it in is 104. I got the camera back this week and just took it out for a spin. The first file number is 4902. Is it normal for them to take 4800 pictures during routine cleaning?
I'd be checking the serial number to make sure I received the right camera ... 🦘

Per Nikon's instructions, I just sent the camera. No battery nor card. Where can I see the shutter count? TIA
Use the link provided in post 16 of this thread. Just take a photo, load it into your computer, then upload the file in the program in the link and it will tell you what the real shutter count in the camera is (regardless of what the file number is).

No increased shutter count during my Nikon double recall repair. A general comment that the process was a total of 4 days including shipping to Nikon LA and return, during Hilary. Maybe the NPS sticker helped.

Reactions: Roy
Even though the actual shutter count (revealed through link provided by Woodyg3 in post 16) was low, it was bugging me having a high file number on card. So I just called my local repair shop to walk me through how to reset it and will provide details in case anyone else finds it useful. This is specific to Z8 (though maybe other Z cameras are the same?). Unfortunately, as far as we can tell, I can only reset it back to file 0001 and not to the actual shutter count (which is 260).

First you have to reformat the memory card or it won't work. Then go to custom menu (pencil symbol) and go to d (shooting display) and then to d7 (file number sequence) and then right arrow and choose the bottom of the three options: reset. This will put the file number back to 0001.

If the Nikon techs had reformatted the card before they tested my camera none of this would have been necessary.

fwiw, it's not exactly a cure, but setting up a custom prefix can help at least.

if you look at my filename, i'm using the year (yy), then 9 means the z9 (where the z8 starts with 238_):

Screenshot 2023-08-28 121615.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Even though the actual shutter count (revealed through link provided by Woodyg3 in post 16) was low, it was bugging me having a high file number on card. So I just called my local repair shop to walk me through how to reset it and will provide details in case anyone else finds it useful. This is specific to Z8 (though maybe other Z cameras are the same?). Unfortunately, as far as we can tell, I can only reset it back to file 0001 and not to the actual shutter count (which is 260).

First you have to reformat the memory card or it won't work. Then go to custom menu (pencil symbol) and go to d (shooting display) and then to d7 (file number sequence) and then right arrow and choose the bottom of the three options: reset. This will put the file number back to 0001.

If the Nikon techs had reformatted the card before they tested my camera none of this would have been necessary.
Just be aware that the number in the file name has historically usually differed - from the actual shutter count. Google it..........

I have never relied on the number in the file name as a judge of shutter count. And especially now that there isn't a shutter! :ROFLMAO:

Just be aware that the number in the file name has historically usually differed - from the actual shutter count. Google it..........

I have never relied on the number in the file name as a judge of shutter count. And especially now that there isn't a shutter! :ROFLMAO:
and there are other reasons your filenumber is unreliable. for example when you max out the number of digits it recycles.

If you rename a copy of a previous image to 0260 then copy it back on to the card, the next picture will start at 0261.

I got my Z8 back with a list of checks and cleanings. Interesting that they do all those checks, calibrating the AF, among other stuff.
I got my D750 back in far better shape than it was in after it was sent in for recall work. While the camera body had a couple of scuffs, when it was returned, there were none. I was surprised at this, and very pleased.

Back