Z8 - major flickering in video

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am getting major flickering today in shooting bighorns. Z8, Sigma 150-600mm, tripod, Mode M, Settings are: Manual Focus on lens, Prores 422, WB auto, Matrix metering, AF-S , DX crop, No post correction, Cannot post a clip here. Try this link:

Last edited:
Wierd sir. I can see it a bit but having posted it and increased exposure it seems to have decreased. In my raw footage it looks like something is searched; ie exposure or focus. I will find antoher clip[.

Wierd sir. I can see it a bit but having posted it and increased exposure it seems to have decreased. In my raw footage it looks like something is searched; ie exposure or focus. I will find antoher clip[.
Posting downsamples and sometimes smoothes. What are your other settings? FPS, shutter, ISO? Resolution? Could also be a display issue, ie frame-skipping for very dense files.

It is Samsung monitor, 60 hz refresh rate (the max)- but you are right. I just swung it over to my Mac book pro screen, (refresh says ProMotion) stabilized and edited, and it is fine. So, might be an issue between the Z8 firmware v.2 and Final Cut Pro. I will follow that lead. At least I know it is not the camera or lens.

That flickering is really bad on my DELL U2720Q monitor. Did you turn off all the VR setting before putting on a tripod?

Have to point out this is why I use a panasonic HC-X1500 camcorder for this type of video. I have no financial or other connection with Panasonic by the way. It is just that this camcorder blows me away , even how steady it is handheld even at 600mm with 3 different VR settings to choose from.
Garfield. It comes with built in ND filters by the way, that shows which to use on the flipout screen,

hand held even steady at max zoom as shot no editing

Last edited:
Impressive zoom. Yes the OS was off, but I did not test with it on. After extensive testing I am now convinced that the issue I was having was none of the above but simply lens movement - ie jiggling. I used a much heavier tripod yesterday and did repeated video tests. With the heavy Miller legs and Manfrotto Nitro 612 head it was fine. On the Manfrotto carbon legs and smaller head it was not. Go figure. A simple fix. However I will do more testing and I have now converted my Blackmagic lens support system for the Z8 and Sigma, so that will be even better. And I will test with the OS on just to see what happens. SS, ISO etc changes made no difference to the issue. I do see a few comments on line abouy a similar issue - but of course I cannot find them now. I appreciate all the feedback. So helpful.

Back