Z8 menu / info buttons don’t respond

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Z8 with the latest firmware. Has anyone experienced the situation in which the Menu or Info buttons don’t respond.

When this happens I will turn the camera off then on again. Usually it takes one or two power cycles to clear the problem. I don’t have these buttons mapped to other functions.

It doesn’t happen very frequently, say every 10 outings with the camera or so. And I’ve noticed that it is more likely to happen when I change lenses or memory cards.

Thanks for any suggestions.

p.s. here’s a bonus pic for your viewing pleasure… a green heron stretching in order to finish swallowing a fish.

Attachments

• IMG_4304.jpeg
    IMG_4304.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 39
I’ve not had that happen with any Nikon mirrorless camera but years ago I had a somewhat similar problem with a DSLR (Nikon D90). After changing a lens the shutter button or some other button wouldn’t respond. I’d have to turn off the camera, jiggle the lens, and turn on the camera again. When I sent the camera to Nikon the main circuit board had to be replaced.

In your case, try saving your settings. Reset the camera to factory settings. Turn it off then on, and load your saved settings. If the problem persists, your camera should get examined by a Nikon service tech.

The only problem I’ve had with the Z8 is that there are times when I’ve turned it on and it didn’t actually turn on. I had to turn it back off and on before it would turn on. Maybe 4-5 times over the past year.

I have had a problem with my Z9 where the playback button fails to respond. It generally works as intended when the Z9 is turned on but after several hundred images fails to respond and then may become functional after waiting a minute or two. I have also had the exposure compensation button fail to respond after periods of shooting and then return to normal function. In this camera the prevalence of transient button failures occurs is associated with the playback button. Otherwise the Z9 functions normally and produces excellent images. I intend to send the Z9 back to Nikon this winter for service. I can’t help but wonder if other Z8/Z9 owners have experienced similar problems.

I have had a problem with my Z9 where the playback button fails to respond. It generally works as intended when the Z9 is turned on but after several hundred images fails to respond and then may become functional after waiting a minute or two. I have also had the exposure compensation button fail to respond after periods of shooting and then return to normal function. In this camera the prevalence of transient button failures occurs is associated with the playback button. Otherwise the Z9 functions normally and produces excellent images. I intend to send the Z9 back to Nikon this winter for service. I can’t help but wonder if other Z8/Z9 owners have experienced similar problems.
Thanks for sharing, Jack. I will do a factory reset on my Z8 per JAJohnson's suggestion and see if that addresses the problem. If not, I will send it in for service.

Back